Hedgehog Central banner

Soy Foods

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HedgeMom 
#1 ·
So I know we always try to avoid soy type food in commercial foods because they're often highly processed and what not.

But last night Beck was begging for a piece of my tempeh. I shooed him away because I wasn't sure if it was safe or not.

Tempeh is high protein, not too high fat, and completely unseasoned. The only ingredients are non GMO soy and a bacterial culture (like yogurt)

Are hedgies actually allergic to soy? Just curious if I can share my food next time or not.

Emily

#2 ·
Tempeh is fine to share with your hedgehog as a treat. Soy in a staple food does several things, it's nutritionally incomplete, it's difficult to digest and it is thought to impair natural thyroid function in some species. By feeding soy as a staple, it takes up room that should be occupied by a nutritionally dense food.

As far as being allergic to soy, that would be an individual issue and not a species-wide issue. When Holly was alive, she'd share my soy milk at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.