Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally after 10 days of it being in the mail recieved the 12 inch silent wheel thingy i had to move some stuff around, and the cage top was to short so i had some pieces of wood and glued them 3-4" up on each side so when you drop the wire top on the wheel would still turn. b4 that humongous wheel the cage seemed great now i feel like he has no room look:

but i feel she sleeps more than 18 hrs a day im home when shes up, and around, and during the night shell have the wheel, i spent over 200 bucks on treats and food and heat lamps and 2 types of bbedding, etc so rght now Spike will jst have to adjust. figured the life he had this must be paradise, and when i get all my nooks fr school and save up some money ill buy him the 2 story ferret pne i had.. lets see if he uses the wheel tonight. most importantly his bowls fit, his treats fit, and everything else can wait.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes the cage is on the small side. Unfortunately, it is also too small to add a second level. Ramps to second levels take up a lot of floor space and door is not in a user friendly place for having a loft.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Your cage looks like the size of my hedgie's "vacation cottage" - the one we use when her hedgiemommy & hedgiedaddy go out of town and she goes on vacation to hedgiegrammy or hedgieauntie's homes. How we handle things is to leave the wheel out during the daytime.

We take her wheel out every morning to clean and just leave it out until evening/night time playtime. She's such a closet wheeler that it's pointless to leave it in during the day. With it out, she has more room to sprawl out during sleepytime and can roam around a little during snack-time -- we don't get her up for snacktime, she just does it on her own... wakes up around 4 or 5, finds a few kibbles, snacks, then goes back to sleep under her liner until playtime.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the thing, Spike hasn't used the wheel yet, i showed hm how he was more interested om nurrowing under it, so i jerry rigged it eith some old architecture surprise, so he cant get under it, its a 3'x2' cage great size just the wheel takes up a 1'x.5'. hes never up unless i wake him and then he either sits and cuddles with me or runs around the room. we'll see what time will bring maybe one day *poof* **** use it, but untill then im not taking it out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If he has play time and exercise outside of the wheel then it's probably ok. Have you thought about using plastic bins instead? They're super cheap (about $10) and only need a little bid of modification before they make the perfect habitat. Here are some photos of mine.

The main bin is a large 127 Qt. Tub. I used a soldering iron to melt vent holes and I leave the lid off since the walls are 14" deep. The smaller bin is his bedroom and kitchen. I added vent holes in the bin and in the lid, which stays on when he is in the cage. I linked the two using plastic gutter that I cut into a 5" long segment, drilled holes into, and zip tied in place. A lot of people use PVC pipes to connect the storage bins. But I liked the gutter because I can completely take it apart if he gets stuck or won't come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts