Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out? I have a 7month old female hedggie who is losing A LOT of her quills. Now, I know they do go through quilling but she started growing new quills about 2 months ago and started slowly shedding some. But in the past several weeks she has been losing a ton and also has EXTREMELY dry skin. When I change her fleece everyone morning there are anywhere from 40-70 quills and then when I give her oatmeal baths to sooth the dry skin she loses about 30. Her quills are starting to get thin through out her back side. I have been looking on her fleece liners to see if I can see any bugs but have yet to find anything. What is wrong? Or is she just going through quilling more severe then others? Please help....

·
Registered
29 Posts
The thread about my hedgehog (X-Files, under this subforum) deals with a similar story. Yours seems young enough to just have major quilling but I am still not sure what's up with mine, so have a look through the options. Visiting a vet is always good. Is hedgie scratching? My vet told me that sometimes mites are under the surface of the skin, so you can't always tell for certain. Treatment with revolution is topical and doesn't do any harm apart from some minor irritation and that's only in rare instances...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I too think it's time to go to the vets. It sounds like mites.

Anytime they are losing more quills than they can grow, it's time for the vets. Because even if she was quilling, she should be growing as many as she is losing.

Few months ago, my boy's quill coat was thinning more than I'd like, so I got him treated with Revolution anyways, as a precaution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts