Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading articles about hedgehogs and in the later month of march I am planning
to adopt a pair. I have found a breeder and is offering a pair chocolate colored hedgies.
I still have yet to confirm if it is an algerian or not and if the pair are siblings.

I have a few questions regarding them:
1. Are inbreds not good for hedgehogs? I was told that it was only a big deal for dogs and not that much on rodents and the like. Would there be abnormalities and such?

2. I am debating whether to use a plastic-type/aquarium or cage for its housing. The place where I am has hot weather especially the summer is fast approaching. I am worried that it'll get too hot or if I use an aquarium type it would not have proper ventilation for the hedgies.
(I am going to put them on separate cages since I am not ready for breeding yet)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Welcome to HHC!

1. Yes, inbreds are bad. Inbred hedgies can have a shorter life span and can have other health issues come up later in their life, even if they look fine as babies. The concern with the rescue hedgehogs from the company in Texas right now is that a lot of them will have short lives because they're most likely inbred.

2. Aquariums aren't good cages for hedgies since, as you mentioned, they don't have good ventilation at all. Some better ideas would be plastic bottomed cages with wire sides, a homemade C&C cage, or plastic sterlite tubs, with holes cut in the sides for ventilation. If you check out the cage example thread in the housing section, there's lots of different ideas for you to look at.

Also, I'm glad you're putting them in separate cages, as breeding can be very hard, expensive, and dangerous for the mother, but don't forget you also will need to keep the hedgies away from each other at all times if you don't want babies or if they're siblings. They can mate very quickly, so they can't even have supervised playtime together.

G

·
I am going to get a hedgehog in 15 days, and planning to use a sterilite bin (plastic).
In my opinion is has more pros then cons.

1.) Easy to move... If you go on vacation you can just bring it along in your car.
2.) easier to clean
3.) Keeps in more heat and easier to heat (Can use heating pad, and/or other things)
4.) Hedgies can't get their feet/head stuck in any holes

There are a lot of good examples of sterilite bins as cages on this site along with
www.hedgehogworld.com...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lilysmommy - Thank you for the reply! :) I am going to ask my friend if the hedgies are indbreds. I think a lot of people think that it is okay but I won't risk it.

I was thinking of creating my own cage, I already have a design in mind but I don't have the means to produce it, for now.

Yes, I don't think I am ready for breeding, a pair would be nice though. :)

LarryT - I'll take note of that. I'll ask the breeder. :) but as I have mentioned earlier, I am still not ready for breeding for the moment. Thank you!

hedgehogs4ever - I'll take a look on that site. :) Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
:D Hello Group My name is Marilyn and I joined this group awhile back so I could get educated on these wonderful animals, I have been reading and reading my next step was to locate a good Breeder in Oregon I found an Awsome Breeder Deneen at HedgiePets . I now have a baby that will be weaned some time near Mothers day thats kinda neat me a new mom at 51 years of age, I can Hardly wait to see a picture she is an Albino and was born March 22 2010 her proud parents are Lavender and Brownie of HedgiePets. My next project is to figure out a beautiful name for my baby girl,I am sooooooooooo excited as soon as she moves home Ill be posting pictures for sure. :D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Welcome to HHC Marilyn and congratulations on becoming a new mommy of a little, albino buddle of quills! :D I can't wait for pictures of your baby!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Marilyn welcome to HHC. I just wanted to say that posting an unrelated message to someone's post is called hijacking and is not considered very nice. You are welcome to start your own post unless you are responding to someone else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts