Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! My hedgie is coming home on August 2nd! Super excited:grin: but I have a few questions: do you think it's bad to have cage with several stories? I've heard from some that it's not a good idea, but I've also seen several people with them. Also, does anyone know where I could buy a hedgehog first aid kit? I saw someone on here who recommended them. Thank you!!:smile:
-Djuna

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, multiple-leveled cages are a bad idea. Each level needs to be full blocked off, and all ramps need to be enclosed. Hedgehogs are pretty bad at depth perception, and most will walk right off edges. An ideal cage for a hedgehog will have a minimum of 4 square feet of flat floor space, all on one level. :)

It's not really a matter of buying a kit all together, just getting the different items and keeping them together in a kit of your own making. Here's a list of suggested items, written by Nancy - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...portant-topics/15-hedgehog-first-aid-kit.html You can put all of the items in a large clear plastic tote, which can also serve as a temporary travel cage or as emergency housing in case of a power outage (it's smaller & easier to keep warm with no power).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, multilevel cages are a no no. My hedgehog might as well be blind for how often he's almost trotted off the couch or whatever. First day I had him he walked right off the kitchen counter and I caught him in midair. You only need to catch a handful of spikes once to learn to keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd say multilevel cages are okay, if the walkways up are walled so your hedgie doesn't tumble off and hurt him/her self. I'm currently thinking about making Daisy, my hedgehog, a multilevel with a tunnel she can climb up, so she has more space. I'd say you definitely COULD do a multilevel, if your hedgehog has the right attitude and you have the right accessories.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Keep in mind that completely enclosed levels and ramps/tunnels all have to be accessible for cleaning still, which can be difficult. It's not impossible to have a multiple-leveled cage, but it takes some planning, some work to make it safe, and keep in mind that not all hedgehogs will use multiple levels anyway. People have gone to a lot of trouble to make a cage safe only to have their hedgehog stay on the bottom level & refuse to use higher ones anyway. IMO, it's not worth the bother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts