Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a hedgehog that's about 6 months old, we've had her for a little over a month. There are two things I wondered about:
1.) We just finally got her a wheel that's the right size but she doesn't seem to run on it. We've tried putting her on it to no avail. Rather than run on it, she usually just knocks it over and sleeps under it (and she has other things to sleep under). She's just not getting it. We do let her run around outside the cage for about an hour or so most nights so she is getting exercise but we'd like for her to use the wheel. Is there any reason why she won't use it and is there anything we can do?
2.) We cannot for the life us of seem to litter train her. It seems, at this point, that's she's pooped pretty much everywhere EXCEPT her litterbox. She has never once used it. We've tried all kinds of things: putting her poop in it, putting it in the area she usually poops in while she's running outside the cage, putting her in it after she poops along w/ the poop, putting her in it while she's pooping, etc. We'll let her out to run around outside the cage and she'll poop right beside the litterbox but not in it. Is there anything we can do differently? We'd really like to get her trained so she can run around w/out us worrying about her pooping everywhere.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm not sure what to do about the wheel, it just might take her a few days to get the hang of it, especially if it's new. They can be quite stubborn about things sometimes. :lol:
Some hedgehogs may never litter train, no matter what you do. I haven't bothered to try litter training my hedgie, so I don't really have any new things you might be able to try, but someone else might. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
What kind of wheel is it? If it's a comfort wheel, you probably need to ziptie it to the cage so she can't knock it over. If it's a flying saucer, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to keep her from knocking it over.
You should leave the wheel in the cage and let her use it when (and if) she decides to do so. My hedgie had a bucket wheel and it broke so I got him a flying saucer, and it took him a few days to figure out that the odd thing in his cage was a wheel. Now he runs on it nightly. On the other hand, some hedgies will never want anything to do with a wheel. All you can do is hope you wake up to a mess one morning. :)
Maybe she's like one of the puppies that put their front paws on the training pad, thinks they're on it, then pees on the floor, if she's going beside it. ;) Some hedgies will never litter train. BUT you can try putting something over the litter pan to make it darker because some are shy and won't go unless it's dark, or you wait until she discovers the joy of pooping behind the wheel. They also tend to go while on the wheel, which makes a messy wheel but not much elsewhere (well...depending on the hedgie). Those things may help, but if not it's not all that hard to clean up anyway.
If you're wanting her not to poop when you get her out to play, try putting her back in the cage for 5 minutes or so after you wake her up to give her time to finish her business.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I agree you need to find a way to keep the wheel up. This may be why she doesn't run on it, because she tips it over before she figures out what it's for. (I'm assuming it's a Silent Spinner or Comfort wheel: you can just ziptie the stand to the side, as Zalea said) I don't think a flying saucer would tip easily, unless she is burrowing under the liner and really trying at it.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
There is an easy fix to stop the comfort wheel from coming off the base and to attach it to the cage so it can't tip over. Use a zip tie to attach a thumb latch hook to the wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can also use the tie wire things used to close bread bags. They are easy on and off which is great for when you have to take the wheel off for cleanings.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, I second twisty ties! I personally prefer the ones with plastic, not paper, on the outside. :lol: The paper ones always break on me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts