Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions?

A friend of mine used this a while back on some smaller critter, and I like the look/clean up.

Before I purchase (which its a cheaper investment) it has to be hedgie friendly!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You can use kiln dried pine. It MUST be kiln dried though. Even so, it isn't ideal and cloth liners are a cheaper and healthier alternative.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Litter training is much easier with cloth liners as the hedgehog can better differentiate between litter and the rest of the cage. Keep in mind that the majority of hedgehogs won't ever become litter trained and some that do, it won't last. Really though, being litter trained with cloth liners doesn't make that much difference. Just means you have to change the liners more often which is no different than with shavings.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Personally, I don't support the use of kiln dried pine in small animals that do not climb. The urine releases the phenols in the wood and can cause not only respiratory damage but also kidney and liver problems. The fact that hedgehogs are prone to cancer just makes it worse, IMO.

Liners or Aspen or Carefresh or paper towels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, wouldn't a cloth liner retain more odor than bedding (im using carefress ultra now) ?

Sookie's urine has a distinct smell, and I would hate for it to be "stuck" on a cloth liner, im not opposed to it at all and I love the idea of cloth liners.

Question for those who use cloth liners- How often do you change them?

Anyone here who has successfully litter trained? Not only trained, but as Nancy mentioned- did your hedgie continue to use the litter?

:) Thanks all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sterile urine has no odor. The ammonia develops from the exposure of the urine to air. Changing the liner every other day and keeping the cage clean will keep it odor-free.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I use 2 liners at once and i flip em over after a day and change em after 2 days.
After you make the 1st purchase for the fleece liners there is no need to buy anymore for along while..With shavings you must buy them forever over and over again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts