Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of people giving their hedgies socks to play with, and I need to caution this. A friend of mine adopted a hog, Zeke, after the previous owner gave it a sock to play with unattended and Zeke ended up with an amputated leg because a string from the sock had wrapped around his foot causing loss in blood circulation. The tissue died, and the vet had to remove the entire leg because the wound became infected halfway up the leg.

I know this is an extreme case, but it's a warning to hedgie parents everywhere to not only avoid socks, but to keep the little guys attended :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea i was wondrin why ppl let hedgies play wit sox, :? :| but u can make 1 outta fleece, u just cut a old sok in half, trace it onto the fleece,(or whateve fabric) cut it out, and sew it together :D and u willl have a safer, alternative to an old favorite!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
under normal circumstances a sock would be used in supervised play. It seems like for the tissue to die like that, the sock would ahve had to been left in the cage. I personally inspect vex after every playing session, so i know he is never in trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts