Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's acting kinda funny...

I took her out earlier and she was fine, not like hissy or anything, but she didn't want to go in her snuggle sack like usual... I mean, usually she zips right in and settles down, tonight she just wanted to lie on my lap instead... Not that I minded... it was just really, really weird...

Of course, her diet changed dramatically in the last month (from pretty pet crap at the pet store to cat food - both low fat, on the list), but still.. 100g? ...at least 50 or so since the last time I weighed her (maybe a week ago?). I mean, my scale is a crappy little weight watchers scale, but she's definitely weighing it down a lot more than she used to...

...but still, could the weight gain be a sign of pregnancy?

We've had her for about a month (almost exactly) and she came from a store that had her with at least 1 male, if not more...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know it's been said that vets might not be able to tell also, soooo... what should I do? Should I replace her igloo with something bigger for a breeding box and remove her wheel just in case she IS pregnant? Or wait and see?

·
Registered
93 Posts
if it,s my hedgehog I definitly remove the wheel an give her a bigger place than an igloo,,,,
(just in case) ,,,it's better to do that for nothing than do nothing and have 4 little babies in the middle of the wheel ,

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It's impossible to say if her weight gain is baby or normal growth for a young hedgehog. If it's been a month, she could deliver any time and I wouldn't make too many changes at this point.

While IMO igloos are not ideal, many breeders use them and love them. What type of bedding is she on? For babies she needs to be on shavings, kiln dried pine or aspen, or carefresh. You can provide her with toilet paper as a nesting material inside the igloo.

Remove the wheel and proceed with caution when you check on her from now on as you never know when there could be babies.

Pregnant girls usually feel bottom heavy and their nipples are more pronounced and swell within a few days prior to delivery. When in labour they are restless and pace, circle their cage and try to climb the sides. Oh, what type of cage is she is? Is it baby friendly?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nancy, thank you so much.

Most of the cage is carefresh (with yesterday's news under & around her wheel), her igloo is on a square of fleece with more pieces of fleece inside for snuggling in. I was eventually going to switch her to liners, but since the potential pregnancy thing came up as something to watch out for right after we got her, I figured I would wait a couple of months before the switch just in case.

I hope the cage is baby-safe... We've been wanting to build her something bigger, but right now she's in a superpets cage (originally for a chinchilla) with the levels removed... It's a wire cage, but with a pretty deep plastic bottom.

She's still sleeping a lot - but eating a ton!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I suggest removing the fleece completely. It can get pretty yucky and smelly and being in the nest has to stay there until babies are weaned. With toilet paper, when you are able to start doing checks on them, you can slowly sneak the gross pieces out and give some fresh for her to take back in.

How deep is the bottom? You want something about 6-8" deep for when the babies start to toddle around. They are tall enough to reach and possible get to the wires but also small enough to squeeze through or get stuck. A large clear sterlite bin is ideal for babies. Walmart in Canada sells awesome sized ones that are aout 18" x 32" x 16" high. Once she is done with it, you can use it for storage.

Eating so much can be either pregnant or baby unfortunately.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say it's about 6" deep... We have a sterlite container available if you think I should move her into it. (We were originally going to connect 2 of them until we had time to make her something else, but we flubbed up on the hole cutting on the first one, not realizing we needed to heat the plastic first. I ended up using the second one to store her food bags, but I could very easily patch up the messed up one and put her food in it instead.)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so she hasn't had babies yet, lol... so I guess it's safe to move her.

I really hate how small this thing is though... So, my question is, um, is this OK as a maternity ward for her? Or is it too small? Also, what if she tries to eat the toilet tissue? lol... She's playing around with it now. (I let her keep one little strip of fleece because she carried it in with her and didn't want to give it up... I'm considering it like a safety blanket, lol...)

Anyway... right...

Too small? Should I run out and try to find a new, bigger one? That was the biggest clear one I could find when I first went out and looked - hence why we were going to put more than one together - and why we eventually decided that it'd be better to just make her something bigger from scratch (my uncle does plastic displays and has made numerous plexi-glass aquariums, so I'm hoping to get something custom for her). We checked a super Walmart and a super Target when we bought that one also... Any idea where I can even find bigger if necessary?

Another option is that I could baby-proof the inside of her cage by attaching a few more inches of plastic all the way around the inside...

I'm so nervous now... I just want everything to be nice and comfortable for her.

Should I move her into a less trafficked room also?

I don't want to stop giving her attention if she's not pregnant, but I certainly don't want to disturb her if she is.

Gosh, I'm down to a remaining 2 fingernails I haven't bitten off, lol...

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That is pretty small. If you can block off the lower bars of her current cage that would work too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nancy said:
That is pretty small. If you can block off the lower bars of her current cage that would work too.
Ya, I can do that... and that makes me feel better that she has more room to run around. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhh, good news!! I went out to get plastic and some diet cherry cokes annnnnd, low and behold, walmart restocked their sterilite stuff and they had the 105 qt containers in stock! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's a bit more vocal than usual too... with the kinda squeaky bark thing going on...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's still acting kinda weird... doesn't want to leave her igloo at all, but bark/chirps from time to time... She won't eat mealies out of a treat dish, but she'll take them and eat them if I hand them to her. Her kibble eating seems to have slowed down a little bit too... I hope there aren't babies in there and I just don't know it!

One minute she's looking out her igloo at me all inquisitively and the next she's rolling around in the back of her igloo half balled up... Hrrrmmm...

There should be a nail biting :nervous: smiley... :|

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hedgiepets said:
How are things this morning? What you described sounds like a mom having difficulties giving birth.
...bout the same so far. She's asleep in her igloo now.

Kind of weird too... usually when she sleeps, her quills are down... but she's curled into a half ball in the back of her igloo with her quills at least 1/2 up.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The privacy would probably make her feel more at ease, but if she is having delivery problems, you want to make sure you know when things are getting to the point where she might need a vet...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts