Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hedgie, sly, is about 7-8 months old. he got kind of big so we recently got him a new cage. im worried that he is fat, because in his last cage he had not one toy in it. i cant find any good toy ideas sly will play with, i have tried wheels, all he does is stick his nose under it and try to push it over,i have tried socks,cat toys,and tubes. he plays with the tube about five minutes and the gets bord. i dont know whats wrong with sly, he wont even eat mealworms! is he stressed,grumpy,or kind of figuring out what the world is about? please help with toy ideas,health help and cage size ideas. his is currently about 12 feet long and 4 feet wide.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Post a picture of his cage for us if you can, or if it's a commercial cage tell us what brand or post a link please :)

12 feet long by 4 feet wide sounds okay to me off the top of my head, but I'm bad with visualizing.

What kind of wheels have you tried? Some wheels are very unstable ie. the comfort wheel and need to be secured otherwise your hedgehog can't run on them. Is it a solid surface wheel with no crossbars?

If the wheel is dangerous and hurting your hedgie or unstable or hard to run on he may just be getting frustrated with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm guessing you mean 1 or 2 feet long? 12 feet long is as long as my bedroom lol. Definitely a great sized cage for any small critter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
his wheel has cross bars but it has duct tape on them. i have also tried a comfort wheel about the size of my house XD and he walked on it about 2 seconds.. he seems to hate them. do some hedgies absoulutly hate wheels?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi there,

Could you verify the size of your cage for us? If it's 12' x 4' then the cage is HUGE. We are all a bit confused because that wouldn't be a standard cage size, more like a hedgie resort! If it's that big maybe he doesn't use the wheel because he has enough room to run wherever he wants anyway! :lol:

My girl won't play with toys at all! I've tried everything from cardboard tubes to cat toys but she just doesn't care. My boy likes to get into trouble and will play with most things even if it's just to check it out or get it dirty. That being said, all hedgehogs are different. Not all will use a wheel and not all will eat meal worms. I'd be ecstatic if mine played with something for more than 5 seconds. In my personal experience, I'd never expect to see my hedgies play like a cat or a dog would~ I just know it's never going to happen. However, if the issue is that you feel that your hedgehog needs to lose a little weight, you may want to look into his diet as well. What are you feeding him?

There are quite a few threads on here regarding different ways to try to get them to try mealworms. There are also quite a few regarding ways to get your hedgie to try wheeling. Are you positive it's not being used at night while you sleep (the time when most hedgies will run on their wheels)? Once he has a decent wheel, make sure his nails are trimmed as well. Mine will use their wheels a lot less if they get a bit too long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, its four and a half feet long and 2 and a half wide.
he doesnt have a poopy wheel or i dont hear it at night and i stay up till about 3 or so every night, so im pretty sure that enough proof.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
When you are staying up are you in the same room with the hedgie? Are there lights or the tv on? It may be possible that your hedgie isn't running because of the those factors. A lot of hedgies like to run when they are by themself or when its in complete darkness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im in the same room, and they tv is on but turned down. he also has blankets around his cage so he couldnt hear it at all and it is completely dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts