Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Breckenridge has been loosing quite a lot of quills lately.
Seems like he loses 5-10 over a two-day span. He did have mites a couple months back and was treated for them by his vet. As far as I know, he does not scratch often at all and the mite issue has been taken care of since due to the changing of bedding for his litter box, his hideout, and more. We have tested for mites again to confirm just in case and.... He's clean! So that's the good news, but I've come to hedgehog central for help...

Why do you think he is loosing so many quills if he doesn't have mites and doesn't scratch? As far as I know, he is well past all his quilling stages...

P.S. there have been no changes to his environment recently either.
Same temperature, cage location, etc. Behavior is normal as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is he? How often do you bathe him? Was he checked for bacterial or fungal infections? What does his skin look like?
Hi Nikki,

Breckenridge is 19 months. He usually gets a bath once (twice if needed) a month. His cage washed and sanitized every Friday and his litter box is changed daily. Yes, the vet asked me to come back in for bacterial and fungal infection test and he was clean. His skin is normal, he's not dehydrated, and his quills LOOK healthy the only problem is he's losing them. There isn't even like patches of them missing, he looks and acts absolutely normal. :confused:

·
Registered
815 Posts
What do you bath him using, any washes or soaps?

What is his diet like, what food do you feed? At least there are no patches and the quills and skin both look healthy otherwise. Could he be under any stress I wonder? My boy is about the same age. He loses about 1-3 quills a week.

What is the new bedding and litter you are using?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you bath him using, any washes or soaps? What is his diet like, what food do you feed? At least there are no patches and the quills and skin both look healthy otherwise. Could he be under any stress I wonder? My boy is about the same age. He loses about 1-3 quills a week. What is the new bedding and litter you are using?
He eats blue buffalo cat food, I decided to switch him off his old hedgehog food with the assistance of his vet six months ago and he's been great ever since. When I bathe him I use a home-made oatmeal bath because I don't feel comfortable using chemicals found in baby/pet shampoo on such a small animal. I've been using paper towel bedding.

I don't believe he is under any stress due to the fact that nothing has changed for him besides his food six months ago, and we had a relatively smooth transition.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is this still an issue? I don't know why nobody brought it up but hedgehog go through regular shedding periods called quilling where they just drop their quills as a normal part of their lives. If he's just losing quills and is otherwise happy and healthy that's probably all it is.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Is this still an issue? I don't know why nobody brought it up but hedgehog go through regular shedding periods called quilling where they just drop their quills as a normal part of their lives. If he's just losing quills and is otherwise happy and healthy that's probably all it is.
As the OP stated in their initial post, they believed their hedgehog was "well past all the quilling stages" that hedgehogs go through during the first year...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.