Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on Long Island in NY an hour from NY City. We have been having below zero wind chill temps the last few days. I have good space heaters but I still don't feel safe leaving them on when I am at work. Even with the heat coming up my apartment was as cold as 62 degrees F. with out the space heaters on.

So I got out my trusty Snuggle Safe yesterday, heated it, wrapped it in a small hand towel and placed it under my hedgehogs house. When I got home 4 hours later it was still warm. I used it again today. What a relief that my girl can be warm.

Besides giving me peace of mind re leaving the space heaters on this also saves on electricity.

·
Registered
902 Posts
They don't heat the air, however, so please know they wont prevent hibernation. Saving on electricity wont save her life. 62 is really cold for hedgies.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
62 is not warm enough to only use a snuggle safe. The temperature change between the snuggle safe and the unheated cage is huge and will cause problems. At 62 a snuggle safe is not going to stay warm for very long, certainly not 8 hours.

If you don't want to use a space heater, get a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat. An emitter is safe provided you have the proper set up and attach it securely so it can't fall off the cage. Although, at 62F you will probably need two emitters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I was not clear. The Snuggle Safe is right in her sleeping house which is also stuffed with fleeces. It is not just out in the cage. I have a thermometer and it registered 72 degrees F. I checked her and she was toasty warm all wound up in her fleeces. Her belly is warm. I put the space heater on the moment I came home. She woke up as usual ate well and ran like a nut.

If I'm still not doing the right thing PLEASE tell me. I have read here that others have used the discs to keep their HH warm while they are at work. Now I'm confused. :?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
One of the challenges of turning the heater on only when you're home & relying on the snuggle safe when your out is if your hedgie wakes up for food or drink. Many hedgies will wake up periodically throughout the day, have a munch or little drink of water and then go back to bed. From my understanding of your set up, your hedgie would need to leave the warmth of her house & go out into a cold cage to eat if you're not home. (and is on cue, Sylvie has just come out to eat)

I use a snuggle safe disk for traveling or if I'm fearful there's a power outage. If I'm out and there's a storm I'm nervous about, I'll put the snuggle safe in as a backup safety. I slip it in between her house & the wall.

I'm sure others will also caution you about putting your hedgie directly on a heating pad (snuggle safe included) when not monitored. Same as with a child, they might get burnt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you all. I did make sure that the Snuggle Safe is NOT in direct contact with the HH. It is above her house under the removable roof but not ON the HH. But I did not think that she might come out during the day and have to leave her warm house. I have very rarely seen her come out during the day.

I am going to bight the bullet and leave the space heater on during the day. It is a very good one (recommended here) that others here have told me they leave on. Luckily this kind of weather is very rare where I am and my apartment is usually too warm.

I respect everyone here and want to safeguard my HH in every way. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
i think that's probably a good decision if your space heater comes recommended as safe.

Glad to hear you're wanting the best for your hedgie, sounds like a good parent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts