Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my boyfriend bought me a Hedgehog as an early birthday present, I got her January 8th. She's an Albino, sweetest thing ever, she bites a lot though. We got her from someone who was "allergic to Hedgehogs" but a few weeks later, I noticed a drastic change in her behavior. She was biting really hard, didn't want to be bothered, was awake during the day, having random bursts of energy. I spoke to someone about all the things that were going on, and he explained that Snow(my hedgehogs name) was pregnant.

Last Wednesday, she gave birth to three babies. It's her first batch of babies, because her previous owner had her since she was weaned, but he also had another hedgehog. He might've put them together one day and didn't supervise them at all. And so this is my first time dealing with a female Hedgie and her babies. Snow had three babies and has done really really well so far. When I'm around her cage, she'll come out and sniff and make squeaky sounds while she sniffs and let me peek at her babies. But the moment my boyfriend comes around, she will hiss. She will only hiss when he''s directly up to the cage(They haven't bonded at all since I got her, so he's a stranger to her).

This is really scary, but the other day, Snow moved her babies UNDER the fleece liner. Stupid me I should have put carefresh in her igloo, and I heard cracking sounds and licking sounds and squeaking from the babies. I thought Snow was eating her babies, I was terrified and immediately looked under the fleece blanket, Snow hissed once then came out to sniff then went back to her babies. I ended up finding out it was just the babies licking the coroplast and Snow cleaning them. so I gave Snow a few mealworms and left her alone after that.

Though I'm going to need some advice after they become two weeks. My boyfriend went out and got formula and a feeding syringe in case Snow rejects any of them and we also got a kitchen scale to weigh them. can anyone give me some other advice that I may not know yet. Since this is my first time and Snow's first time. I want to make sure I'm doing things right for her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll let a breeder answer, but from what I know you should mostly leave the mother and babies alone to keep from stressing her out until the babies are weaned. When the mother is stressed they can do things like eat the babies, and if she's uncomfortable around your boyfriend, his presence may make her stressed. I'm not sure though, but this is what I've heard.

The fleece will probably start to smell, so you may be able to put odor absorbers around the cage. And the reason she may be burrowing under the liner could be she doesn't feel the babies have enough protection. If you have an igloo already then it could be another reason.

I would PM a breeder on here with more questions if you wanted to because then they could help you throughout the whole process. Good luck and congratulations on the babies!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to isolate the cage with fleece on the outside so that she wouldn't notice my boyfriend. So far so good though. But she only hisses when he's directly up close to the cage. He doesn't go near the cage because of her possibly being stressed.

Yeah, the fleece has started smelling, my boyfriend put odor absorbers around the cage already. Also, it's weird she feels they don't have enough protection, for the first 4 days, she had them in the igloo, she was switching between paper towel(from her litter pan) and fleece pieces every night. then managed to get under the lining which she was never able to do before or really cared about trying to do. But she seems happy under there so I'm going to let her stay there. The only bad thing is, is that I can't see if the babies are okay or not. Except for that one time where I thought she had eaten them.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The best thing you can do is to leave them alone. Don't try to move the cage or check on the babies, just go in there to give her food and water. She'll make her nest like she wants, even if it's under the liner. Don't give her any new bedding or anything for now, it'll stress her out.

Definitely do not let any strangers around the cage, including your boyfriend. She seems to respond well to you being around which is good, but strangers may cause her to kill the babies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts