Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so im kind of a new hedgehog owner, so im a little cautious on this topic. i have heard of upper respiratory infections, and so im just a little worried about theo. is it okay for a hedgehog to sneeze occasionally, but not excessively? i hear theo sneeze about once every other day, and i just need to know if that is okay, or if i should take a trip to the vet. sometimes its even less often then that. so far i havent noticed the other signs, although i wouldnt know how to recognize 'excessive nose licking'? how much would be too much? i see him lick his nose a lot, but i dont think its that bad. help?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
In the very beginning stages of a URI, it can be difficult to tell if it is a normal occasional sneeze or snuffle noises. URI's progress though. That occasional sneeze will increase in frequency so if your hedgehog who sneezed once or twice a day, starts to sneeze once or twice and hour, or minute, then he needs to be checked out at the vet.

You will get to know your hedgehog and what is normal. Some never ever sneeze, others will on occasion. My Herisson for instance usually has a sneezing fit when he first wakes up. Once he'es done his 5-10 sneezes, he doesn't sneeze again. If one of the none sneezers did that, they would be off to the vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.