Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmund has a tendency to have short fits of sneezing (3-4 sneezes) whenever I put him back in his cage after handling him, accompanied by him licking his nose. I've read that these can be signs of a respiratory illness, so I've been watching him closely, but he doesn't sneeze or lick at any other times, only immediately after I put him back in his cage. As far as I can tell, there's no other signs of sickness, he has been eating and drinking like normal, he is as active as always, and his poop has been normal. Is this anything I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
412 Posts
What kind of bedding are you using? If your using any sort of bedding like Carefresh, it may just be dust that gets into his nose every time you put him down.

Try switching to a fleece liner and see if he keeps sneezing. It may be something as simple as that, especially if he's not doing it any time other than when you put him back in his cage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm already using a liner so it's not that. I'm also using a dust-free litter so I don't see how it could be dust or allergies.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hmmm

I'm out of ideas. Maybe it's just something he does... I can't imaging it's anything super serious if he only does it in this particular situation. The nose licking thing is sometimes related to hedgies knowing it's dinner time, so maybe it's the same with the sneezing?

Sorry I can't be any more help-- I'm sure Nancy or LG will have a better answer for you :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts