Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where everyone decided that hedgehogs don't stink. While I love my little hedgie, she is a completely disgusting little nasty booger :) I have her on fleece bedding, and I clean her cage daily. Everything is cleaned:Litter box, wheel, cage- every single day. At night I wake up from lovely, terrific smells coming from her cage. (Eew.) More often than not I find her buried in the layers of paper towels in her litter box, after they have been heavily used from the night(despite my efforts to provide a dig box, and a fleece pile of dig tunnel thing) . She drags her litter box across the cage, dumps it out, and throws poop everywhere. She only poops on her wheel, and then sleeps in all her poop and pee. I can't even explain to you the smell she creates in the night. My entire life I have spent 99% of my time around horses and livestock, none can compare to my little hedgehog. I am so hoping she will grow out of this! She is heavily quilling right now, at almost 10 weeks old. She has been lightly quilling since I got her at about 6 weeks, up until now. I absolutely love her though :) So is it just a fairytale that hedgehogs aren't very stinky animals, or is this just a baby thing?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Haha yeah, its a baby thing. Eventually she might grow out of wallowing in her poo, but for now just bear with it. An air purifier helps, or you can buy some carbon air filters online that you can cut to size to fit her cage. If the smell is too unbearable, perhaps switching to shavings would make it a bit easier to handle.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hahaha, I have one boy like this right now. Most of my hedgies are modestly stinky, but this boy would come home with the prize if anyone would dare rate hedgies on stench. I wouldn't consider him a baby, but he's not quite 6 months old yet. I think some hedgies are just stinkier than others. He definitely has a faster metabolism than some and poops about three times as much as my others. Hopefully your girl though will grow out of it (she probably will a bit) and if nothing else, switching food if the smell is unbearable might help. Different foods have been tolerated differently by the individual hedgies here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel your pain. Mine is around the same age and is too heavily quilling and super duper stinky. You are not alone. Bubba too wallows in his own poop. However, I usually wipe him down with a warm towel when he's looking and smelling too poopy. It helps, but it's almost a never ending cycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little guy was like that too (he's only a week or two older than yours). I gave up on the dig boxes, he wont use them. He only stopped sleeping in his pee in the last week or so (it's wonderful!). I did learn that giving him a quick footy bath helps, it lifts a lot of the urine off of him too and the cage doesn't stink as much when he's clean. He was getting a footy bath once a day for a while. I also discovered the most amazing trick for the wheel this week. I got frustrated with having to scrub the urine and pee off twice a day, so I took a few drops of baby oil and wiped the wheel down when it was clean. Baby oil wont hurt him, and it keeps most of the poop and pee from sticking to the wheel, which means he gets less on him too. I still have to wipe the wheel down, but there is much less scrubbing. Just don't get carried away with the oil or you'll make a slip and slide for him and I'm sure injury is possible.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh the memorie's! When I got Percy at 7 weeks old I found myself doing nothing from morning till night cleaning up after him. Every morning was a foot bath and full cage clean. It was worse than having a new puppy to care for and I got to the thought of "what was I thinking by bringing this dirty little guy home?". It's a miracle now. Maybe once a week he'll need a foot bath, poops stay in the litter box under his wheel, his sleeping area is spotless, and I'm finally getting sleep again. He's so clean that if he does need to poop and he's in his pouch, he'll stick his butt out, poop outside his pouch and then go back in for a nap. I'm sure it's just the baby stage yours is going through, so hang in there. From my experience (I'm only a first time hedgie owner mind you) they can be come clean freaks. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as I have gathered from research and seeing how my little girl is, I think it's a baby thing (or at least god I hope so lol). My Pepi poops everywhere but her sleeping area that is covered with fleece. She'll poop right outside but not in there thankfully. For a day, she actually pooped in and around her litter area but after that that, she will poop literally all over her cage and stomp in it. My sympathies for your nose and best of luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Emma was really good the first month or so I had her home and then went through her "toddler tantrums" around 3 months old. I also found that her poop reeked to high heaven when she was quilling and mealworms at that time made it worse. She is not a stinky lady anymore and back to using her littlerbox and wheel like before so hoping it was a "phase". Goodluck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts