Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hedgie before, but it was SOO long ago that i cant remember if they have a SMELL or not.

Does the room your hedgie live in have any kind of SMELL to it? I'm asking because i will be getting my hedgie on SUNDAY (WOO HOO) and i have a REALLY awesome air purifier that works GREAT of smells.. I'm just wondering if i should get a new filter and put it in the hedgie room or not.. I'm not super obsessive about smells, but that room is also kind of a "crash room" too (where friends crash for the night) so i would like to try and keep it smell free.. I know that a clean cage will rid them of MOST of their smells, but i was wondering if there was ever a lingering smell with hedgies..

I just keep thinking back to the sugies.. they are OBSESSIVE scent markers. The more you clean, the more they smell. I'm pretty sure if i remember correctly, they dont scent mark.. i just cant remember EXACTLY/

·
Registered
412 Posts
As long as you clean them properly, they don't smell nearly as bad as cats/rodents/etc. Our 3 guys barely smell when I come home... and the heat is on... and their wheels are dirty... and they're in a small-ish room....

Also, it's been said the younger the hedgie, the stinkier he is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sebian said:
As long as you clean them properly, they don't smell nearly as bad as cats/rodents/etc. Our 3 guys barely smell when I come home... and the heat is on... and their wheels are dirty... and they're in a small-ish room....

Also, it's been said the younger the hedgie, the stinkier he is.
I'd have to agree with this. Mine is 5 weeks old and it stinks up a storm not to mention i've never seen anything poo so much in an hour period :lol:

·
Registered
412 Posts
incubi said:
Mine is 5 weeks old and it stinks up a storm not to mention i've never seen anything poo so much in an hour period :lol:
Oh that may be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
sebian said:
incubi said:
Mine is 5 weeks old and it stinks up a storm not to mention i've never seen anything poo so much in an hour period :lol:
Oh that may be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time... :lol: :lol: :lol:
While it's amazing something so little can release that much, it sucks cleaning the cage every 6 hours or else the cage would be filled up with poo everywhere.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i would think at 6.5 months, i think i will be somewhat safe.. poo is easy to deal with, its the smell of urine and scent marking that bothered me witht he gliders.. you could smell it as SOON as you came in the house

1 - 7 of 7 Posts