Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prudence was out for a runaround in her playpen and after returning her to her cage I noticed a couple of abnormal poops. There were three small, soft poops, and when I picked them up they were very clearly green and mucousey.

Prudence had not been on her wheel last night and had not been polishing off her food for a week or so. Because I only got her a couple of weeks ago, I figured that it might have just been that she doesn't have a massive appetite. I saw her eating right before letting her out in the playpen, so she can't be that sick, right? I called the vet anyways and am taking a poop sample in tomorrow. Bette safe than sorry.

I gave her three pellets of a new food that I was going to start feeding her, is it possible that so little could upset her stomach? I also let her explore a new (hedgie proofed) room, could this have stressed her out? I saw her anointing walking around the room, maybe she licked up something that bothered her? I cleaned her cage yesterday, but can't imagine that causing a problem. I also read that bacterial infections can be an issue, is this a possibility?

Thanks, please let me know if you have any ideas or advice, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has she had any changes to her diet? You say you recently got her. She could be very stressed from her move. Have you been giving mealworms? When I first introduced Teddy to mealworms he immediately had green poops for 1 day but they passed. Their systems are very sensitive to new food!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the fast response! The only diet change was the addition of 3 pellets of a new food. I was intending to switch her onto it, but have not added it to her mix again today.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It could be lots of things. Could it be the food? Yes, it could. But it might be something else. You're doing exactly what you should do. Taking the poo sample to get tested is the best thing you can do. I wouldn't start switching the food until the issue is resolved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.