Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently brought a seven week old hedgehog home a week ago. He seemed to be adjusting well, but recently (a day ago) his poop turned this mushy green and sometimes a clear jelly-like substance would come out. Ill give you some background details:

- I had guests over yesterday (when the poop started) and a girl touched him without my permission and he bit her. He was also exposed to a lot of new smells and people that day.
- I just changed his bedding from kiln dried pine (what the breeder had) to Carefresh but I have watched him and he hasn't been eating it.
- He has been eating regularly, although not as much as when he first came home a week ago. He has been drinking, but again, I don't know if it is enough or if he is dehydrated. I have tried pinching his skin and it seems to go back to normal right away after about 2 seconds.
- When I am bonding with him he is completely calm. He has never bitten me and his quills are always down when he is in my lap napping or walking around.

So far I think it's just stress, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?? :(

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Seconding the diet question. If there was no food change or new treats, though, I agree that it's probably stress from all of the commotion. If that's the case, it should clear up in a few days or so. If it doesn't and there's no other reason for it (like a diet change, continued stress, etc.), it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a sample to the vet to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since he has come home, I have fed him the same food the breeder did (a mix of three high protein cat foods). I noticed he seemed to prefer one food over the other (Blue Wilderness). So I went to the pet store and got him Blue Wilderness. Now his food is still a mix of the three foods, but more Blue Wilderness than the other two.

Thank you guys! I will be sure to keep observing him and will take him to the vet if it continues.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
This isn't really related to the actual question regarding the fecal issues, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

If you have people over and you can't control people touching your hedgehog you might want to consider moving the cage to a more controlled environment.
Obviously you don't want guests being bitten, but you don't want to stress him out either. If the same person consistently is an issue, I wouldn't have them in my house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, it was irresponsible of me to leave his cage there. Luckily, it was just a one time thing, I don't think the person meant any harm and will not be returning to my house. As of now, I most likely will take him to the vet with a stool sample just to make sure everything is okay.

·
Banned
101 Posts
My hegie was having some random green poops but it went away almost entirely after a diet change. I realized the royal canin is not that good, because it had corn, and toooo much protein, was probably making his little tummy upset, but now im on a mix of WEllness complete health and Chicken Soup for the Soul and his poops are perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.