Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, new to HHC (as seen in Fun Stuff) and to hedgehogs, my Vera Lee seems to sleep all the time and but its not a hibernation attempt, her stomach and nice and warm, cage temp is usually around 78'F give or take a couple degrees. She's a tough hog too, she doesn't care about light, can be bright, dim or dark. She never acts afraid of me, doesn't ball but isn't too fat to do so, never ever has clicked or hissed at me, puffs at me when I go to pick her up but that seems typical of most hogs, and once picked up she goes into explorer mode. Besides that, 90% of the time she is snoozing in her hut. I do not believe she is up at night when I am asleep either, as I only sleep roughly 3 to 4 hours a night. She eats and drinks like a champ and does come out for some playtime.

Last Friday was a biggie, she was out for 6+ hours in her playpen, pushing her box around playing tankhog, using her tubes and such, but this is the most in one shot that I've seen her play, playtime can range from 30 minutes up to the 6 hour mark, generally though its either a really short 30 minute session or a couple of hours. Then she retires to her box and transforms into her hedgieball, of course not happy when I wake her up so she can go back into her cage and hut.

I don't know her background besides she is suppose to be a year old give or take and that her previous family did a good job at least keeping her social and they said they let her run around at night, but I get the feeling even then they had to wake her up. The only other thing I can think of is that she is indeed touchy about the lighting and her internal clock is off, or that she's just a lazy hedgehog. She doesn't have a personal light that is on all day, just the natural (non-direct) daylight. This will be 'fixed' by the end of the week. She also just got he wheel, something she's never had, so we'll see if she puts it to use.

So in general, is she just lazy. And if so, should I make an effort to get up her anyways for some exercise. Open to all opinions, thanks.

D.W.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thank goodness you are getting the lighting and the wheel for her, she needs those and I suspect you will see an increased amount of activity after she has them. They don't need a special light if you don't mind just leaving the light on all day for her in the room.

Riley and Whyte sleep "all the time" but in reality I think they do miles on the wheel. I videotaped Riley one time at night and I was so bored watching him run and run and run and run on that wheel, it was amazing how much exercise he really does get. He got up for several shifts, ran back and forth to the food/water inbetween sessions of wheeling, etc.

When I get him out he just sleeps on me like a contented cat or dog, he doesn't play. Some are cuddlers and some are explorers. Whyte is my explorer.

Congrats on your little one.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured I'd post an update since its been a few days. Lighting the cage got delayed since I couldn't find any extension cords, her cage is located where there is no power outlets (200 year old house, room only has two). So today (Sunday) was the first day of an actual 12 hour lighting session, we'll see what the week brings.

This is more an update on the use of the wheel that I got from LarryT last Wednesday. Since Vera Lee has never had a wheel, of course she didn't pay any attention to it. When she was out and about, I would pick her up and put her on it, and she'd kind of walk on it, then get off and run about. Then in a way I started to force her on the wheel, by putting her on a wheel and using a small box to block the bottom section of it, which got her walking on it. Did this for a couple of days, more or less making her get some exercise doing like 1 to 3 minute jogs on it. She's gone from walking to jogging in these sessions, but I just had to note that I actually turned around tonight and found her on the wheel jogging on her own accord. So success! She's starting to learn the joys of wheeling.

Thanks for the advise, lets see what a week of 12 hour lighting does for her activity, though she's been pretty active tonight, sadly though its 2:40 in the morning and I got about three hours till I get up for work.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess this will be the last update on this thread, as we now have one active hog. With the 12 hour lighting schedule, she is now up at 7pm and doesn't really quit exploring until about 2am. Couple of those hours are dedicated to naps. She's now loving the wheel and using it all the time, actually made her first poop on it tonight.

Last major issue is heating, temps are not staying as steady as I would like them, ranging from 73 to 78 but not jumping all over the place or jumping quickly. I've keep a keen eye on her, belly is always warm. Picking up a thermostat for her light setup tommorrow and ordering a CHE since no one carries them here in the Boondocks.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.