Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the red skin and fur/quill separation totally normal? I noticed it yesterday morning but didn't get a good shot of it until this morning. I'll be getting some flax seed oil because she does have some dry skin, but I'm just a bit paranoid so I thought I'd check to make sure everything is normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Henry has that too, I was wondering the same thing. He has that 'seperation' on each side. His skin looks great though. I just figured it is because he is a fatty, but your hedgie is normal sized. :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Looks normal to me. I think it's just because the fur gets sparser where the quills start growing, so you see his pink skin ^_^ How hot do you have the temp.? Hot temps can make their skin look redder (circulation? idk the entire explanation, but it's like how our cheeks turn red in the heat).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shaelikestaquitos said:
Looks normal to me. I think it's just because the fur gets sparser where the quills start growing, so you see his pink skin ^_^ How hot do you have the temp.? Hot temps can make their skin look redder (circulation? idk the entire explanation, but it's like how our cheeks turn red in the heat).
I think it was definitely the temp. I got a new temp gage today, and felt awful. Way too hot in there.
My previous gage told me I was at 70 this morning, so of course I turned up my heater and went to school. When I got home, it read 72, though I was surprised it wasn't warmer after being on all day. I put the new gage in and it said 79 :evil: I was not happy about that. I turned off the heater and it should be cooling down now and hopefully her skin will get normal colored once it's the right temp. :/
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It kinda depends on the hog, too, IMO. My Milly's cage temp is between 75.5 and 78 degrees and her skin on the fur/quill line is always pink. I did ask the vet about it and he said it's normal - like Shaelikestaquitoes said, the fur becomes more sparse in that area so the skin is more easily visible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts