Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eve has really flaky skin! i dont know if it is mites or not but i have been looking for them and havent seen any (i know that you usually cant see them, but i havent seen any poop either). well today when i was playing with her i noticed that she had a scab around one of her quills. i looked around and couldnt find any more like it. while i was looking at the one quill with the scab the quill fell out very easily. not really sure what that could be. im going to call the vet tomorrow morning but i just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? she hasnt been itching or anything she is acting like a normal hedgehog. i was wondering if the skin problems could be because the previous owner used pine bedding and i use liners (washed every day). we have had eve for about a week now and i new she had dry skin but i didnt thank it was bad until today! thank you for any input!

·
Registered
594 Posts
A warm oatmeal bath with a flaxseed oil rinse should help her.
It may take a little while before all the flake go away if she's really bad. One of mine was when I got him took a few weeks to get his skin healthy.
You can also dribble some Flaxseed oil onto his kibble.

The scab could be from scratching but it would probably be for the best to take her in to be checked just to be on the safe side with the quill falling out that easily.
Hopefully it's just dry skin, mites is a possibility with her previous owner keeping her on pine, although I'm not sure if the pine can cause dry skin or not.
A dose of revolution wouldn't hurt either way.

I've also heard a few people on here lately using "Sunshine Factor" for dry skin. (I think it was silvercat? not positive)
You get it from the vet I believe. I've never used it so I can't really tell you anything about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have an appointment at 2 today. i just hope that we can figure this out! wish us luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took Eve to the vet and he said she doesnt have mites just really dry skin. and her quill that fell out was apparently a "ingrown quill"

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dry skin is a pain. But it's better than mites. So that's good to hear. Good luck with oatmeal baths and flax seed oil they should help a lot.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm glad she didn't have mites!
I hope the dry skin starts getting better real soon, poor baby.
I can't imagine how they feel when there whole little bodies gets dry skin like our little hedgies do.

All of mine had dry skin when I got them but I think Vander's was the worst and his got better and had healthy skin within 2 to 3 weeks. I could see improvement in just a few days.

Hopefully your baby will be feeling better real soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts