Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog Connor Chestnut is coming into his third week with us and is unfortunately pretty sick. He was surrendered to us through the HWS by a family that could no longer care for him, but had treated him very well and told us everything they could. We knew he was getting over an ear infection, but had already been treated for it. I noticed while handling him that he was very itchy, had extremely dry and flaky skin, and was losing quills both because they were loose and because he was scratching them out (he'd lost some hair as well). We brought him to the vet a week ago, and he was diagnosed with a bacterial skin infection and possibly mites or ringworm (we're waiting on tests). He's on a three week course of oral antibiotics for his skin and has topical once a week mite treatment, and we have a follow up vet appointment this week.

My question is, does anyone know what's best to soothe a skin infection? His skin is very dry, flaky, and itchy and we want to soothe it. He loves taking baths, so that's not an issue. We gave him one before the vet to clean off any poop buildup and he was very happy despite his skin discomfort. I've seen people say that oatmeal is good and some say it's terrible, and everyone who mentions skin infections just says to go to the vet and not what to do afterwards. Is there a particular baby shampoo or body wash that would help? I've seen Aveeno recommended a few times. Is any particular oil good for mixing into the bath water or applying topically? Thank you in advance!

-BH
new owner, hedgehog enthusiast

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is a link to the forum post about dry skin and some good solutions.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/65-skin/44-dry-skin.html

I use just plain oatmeal for Arya. I put about a cup of oat in a old sock and let it soak in a bowl of warm water while squeezing the sock. The water gets all milky white. After I bathe her with baby shampoo I rinse her with the oatmeal water and squeeze the sock over her. I don't rinse the oatmeal water afterward.

You may want to wait until the vet confirms the diagnosis for the skin to bathe or at least check with your vet to make sure its ok. I am not entirely sure about hedgehogs and mites as I have never dealt with it before but I know with my guinea pigs it is not advised to bathe them as it may make mites burrow deeper.

Hope this helps,

Jill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input Jill, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply before!

We just got the negative for ringworm (thank god) but nothing definitive about mites quite yet though he's still on the treatment for them and his infection. His follow up is exactly a week from today. The vet did say that baths were A-ok once a week or so, just being sure not to dry out his skin. We bought some of the Aveeno oatmeal bath recommended in that pinned post, he'll be getting his first bath with it tonight. He does seem to be slightly less itchy, but he's still losing quills and huge flakes of his skin.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank goodness it's not ringworm!! One of my 10 guinea pigs has a spot on his back that I am convinced he got from hay I purchased from a local farmer. It has been weeks of treatment and the stubborn spot won't just GO! It's not getting worse so that's good! Hopefully the Aveeno will do the trick for your baby and it's just dry skin. I have seen some posts of people adding humidifiers to their hedgie rooms to help as well as putting flax or another oil on thier food to help! You could try using the search function of the forums to see if anything looks like a good solution!
Sending all good vibes your way!!

Jill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts