Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so I'd lolike to thank this forum for all the help I've found now that I got my first hedgie :).

I know there are plenty of post about how dangerous and not a good option the silent spinner is but I have one problem, I'm living in Japan and it is the only option I found for hedgehogs. If there was a way I could get one of those CSW or I could make one myself that'd be great!! Meanwhile I have to stick with the silent spinner for a bit and I just wanted to ask anyone with a similar issue, is there any possible way I could make the silent spinner at least a bit less life or toe threatening for Ponyo? (my girlfriend named her that...:)). Was reading about the SS cons and got so scared!! I'm on my way home from work and as soon as I get there I'm gonna tape those holes right away. I don't care if I have to clean it every two hours, I don't wanna see my hedgie getting hurt.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know i might get some bad comments for this, but i got silent spinner for my hedgie before i joined this and knew how much it could hurt them, and it was the only one that was available in the 15+ stores i have looked at around me. When i found out that it could hurt Juliet i had my boyfriend who lives in a bigger city get me a comport wheel. and so i replaced them. but Juliet refused to use it. why? i have no idea.... it was strange she got on it and tried once for a few seconds. And never got near it again. after about 2 weeks of trying to get her to use it i gave up. and put the SS back in to see what she would do. and she jumped on it and went crazy. so i had to make it hedgie proof.
So i got a sodder for metal and melted together the holes, along with the clasps that make it so you can take it apart. then make sure that the screw in the middle never gets loose (i have not ever had it come any bit loose) It worked for me and i haven't had a problem with it so far. Hope that helped!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I don't think you'll get any bad comments - you modified it so it'd still be safe for use, so that's great. :) That's the most important thing, is making sure it's safe to use, so past that, I think it's down to personal preference. The only other reason I wouldn't use it is because it'd get messier (it seems like - no personal experience) with no holes, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be used at all, especially with no other hedgie-approved options available. :lol: They can be so picky sometimes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I wouldn't use it if I could just get another, but I'm stuck with it for now :). I'll try the silicon and see how it goes. About that's screw in the middle, Ponyo likes to go underneath the wheel and make it spin with here back sometimes lifting the wheel into positions it wasn't meant to, I'm afraid it could get even looser. Because of that I made it so the wheel will never get detached from the cage, and when I clean the wheel I take that yellow screw appart and leave the gears attached to the cage and clean it. Am I doing it right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My husband is currently working on modifying my Silent Spinner. If you unscrew the yellow nut on the front, you can remove the plastic wheel itself and be left with just the mechanism. He is going to cut the bottom out of a bucket, put a hole in it and then reattach. It would be even easier to use a cake topper if you can get them, as then the only cutting/drilling you would have to do would be to put in the hole. If it works, I'll be posting pictures and that might be an option for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts