Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sylvie has been running with no problem on her Comfort Wheel for a number of months now. I know there's concern about the small holes in the wheel and her toes and I took that into account before buying. Also the concerns about it tipping. She actually runs on the inside of the wheel which avoids both those problems. :)

The other night I was watching her on the wheel and noticed that her nose is getting pretty close to the front wall. She has a long runners body and I'm beginning to wonder if the wheel might be too small (it is a large though and she doesn't seem to have any problem running on it - in fact seems to love it- I just want to be pro-active). If it's any information, she's 9 months.

The pet stores around her only sell the comfort wheels (I scavenged when first purchasing) but am thinking about getting a flying saucer so that she could stretch out more. I do notice that Sylvie likes to stretch and will periodically stop to stretch out her body when walking around. I read this review though and am looking for peoples feedback. I don't want to trade one health issue (her runners body) for another (joints).

Not a Suitable Toy for Hedgehogs, March 9, 2009
by SeaWorldFan2010 from Dallas, TX (read all my reviews) (read all my reviews)

Pros: silent
Cons: uncomfortable for animal

"The Flying Saucer wheel is horrible for hedgehogs for the following reasons:

1. Its tilt makes it to where a hedgehog needs to cross its legs in order to run on it. This can cause pain and discomfort to the animal.

2. Since it is not a vertical circle like traditional wheels, the inside feet don't move as fast as the outside feet.

Overall, this product is not good for hedgehogs, and probably other animals as well."
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3155602

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you considered a CWS? Reaper sells them and my girls love it. They also have runners bodies, but have zero problems when it come to this wheel. I would recommend this whell to anyone.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am now. Just saw the classified posting for it. Visually how big is it? Sylvie's litter pan is a small/medium size pan that the current wheel sits comfortably in. Would CWW fit?

·
Registered
581 Posts
the CWS probably wont fit in the litter pan, but it has a base on it (the actual base to the cake plate) the catches all the urine/feces that runs off of the wheel at night....also easy to clean if they prefer to go behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I have heard concerns like these about the flying saucer wheels before...so when I first started getting them I left the bucket wheel in the cage and the flying saucer wheel as well. In every case after a few nights the bucket wheel wasn't being used anymore and the hedgies were only using the flying saucer wheels. Because of that I had to assume that they perferred them and were more comfortable on them. I have now taken out the buckets wheels.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the flying saucer, I'm concerned about poop & pee being thrown around the cage. I'm not concerned about cleaning it. Sylvie has a drinking bowl and I wouldn't want to think about poop or pee being flung into her water during the night. Has anyone had any issues like this? I do remember reading one post as such.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If any one needs a visual of a hedgie on a FS, here's a visiting hedgie trying it out for the first time:

And here is the size of the CWS, in my current cage:

You can see I have both the CWS and the FS in the cage.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the CWS base was flipped the other way (providing it was balanced) it could act as a litter pan too.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You mean around backwards or upside down? Backwards would not provide the right balance and the bottom of it is a criss cross grid to provide support. i think the way it sits is about the only way unless you attach it to the side of the cage(Reaper provides instructions and the extra nut needed for this in his packaging) If you attach to the side of the cage you may be able to get the litter pan under it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant upside down. Sorry for the confusion. Sylvie now 'steps' into her litter pan that's lined with a paper towel. Just looking at the image, I could see how the space between the rim and main area could collect any pee or such. It just doesn't have the 'step' that the litter pan has, but maybe that's not an issue.

·
Registered
395 Posts
as for the concerns with the FS wheel, these are just one power hungry persons review.

1) I have not seen Vex run once crossing his legs, He just runs up the slant and the wheel turns as it normally would.

2) Most hedgehogs change directions when running, thus exercising both legs evenly.

When a hedgehog is given a choice, i think they would go for what is funner/more comfortable to run on. And in someones case (sorry i forget the name) their hedgie chose the FS over a bucket wheel, as did Vex. (although he prefers his CWS).

it would also be better to take other peoples reviews with a grain of salt. Has there ever been a case where a hedgehog has been injured because of running saucer style? Has there ever been a study done on the effects of the wheel on hedgehogs?

On the other hand, there is proof that a silent spinner rips off hedgehog toe nails every once and a while, and it is common for them to come undone and fall on the hedgehog.

Just because something looks uncomfortable doesn't mean it is, Sleeping on a bed of nails looks painful, but causes absolutely no harm. I would be more frightened of things that don't look scary (ie. back problems from sitting wrong in a chair, good looking food with raisins being dangerous.)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I gave two hedgehogs both a flying saucer and a bucket wheel. Two of them preferred the flying saucer. One was a petite gal, the other a large girl.

I personally would not get a flying saucer for a one and only wheel because I do feel the running position could be uncomfortable for some. I prefer to give a choice. We've used all types of wheels here with the exception of mesh wheels which I will not use, and Reapers Cake walk which I'm waiting for. Given the option of only the store bought wheels, hands down, it would be a comfort wheel. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts