Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got Tinker Bell about a week ago. Yesterday she had really slimy Green poop a puffy eye and loud congested breathing. So, I was really excited to look up the vet listings and find one in my town. However, this morning when I called them to make her an appointment they said they do cats only. So I spent my morning calling every animal place I could find in the phone book trying to find ANYONE that knew ANYTHING about a hedgehog. FINALLY after about 35 minutes on the phone I found one. (or so I thought) I get there spend an HOUR waiting. The Vet comes in and says, "I just spent 30 minutes online trying to find something about hedgehogs, I can't find anything. So I don't know what to do. She seems fine to me." :x Thank God he didn't try to charge me for him wasting MY TIME! By the time I got out of there it was 5 and every other place I tried to call was closed. UHHH I am so mad and frustrated, because I don't know what to do for poor TInk.

I was using corn cob bedding but I took that out yesterday after she was sounding congested and just put a blanket down for her with a litter box. Anyone know what to do next? Do you think she sounds bad enough where I need to keep searching quickly?

Any advice welcomed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm sorry for what happened with the vets in your area. :evil: I was in a similar situation when we first adopted our hedgie. I don't think it's uncommon for hedgie parents to run into situations like ours, so it's very important to check around and make sure you have a good, hedgie-savvy vet before you adopt one.

Green poop for a hedgie just moved in a new home usually points to stress and it's not uncommon. However, puffy eyes and/or loud congested breathing doesn't sound normal at all. You did the right thing by taking her off corn cob bedding - it could be an allergy reaction to the bedding or sinus problem from its dust. Loud congested breathing sounds worrisome though, as it could be a upper respiratory infection (URI) and it can progress to a pneumonia quickly if left untreated.

I think Nancy on this board said a few times before that hedgehogs are not much different from rats or hamsters when it comes to a URI and can be readily treated by antibiotics. Maybe you look for a vet who regularly treats small animals such as rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs and let him know you suspect a URI?

I'm sorry I'm not much of help here. Hopefully more experienced hedgie guardians will come on and give you more concrete advice as to what to do. In the meanwhile, keep your poor hedgie warm. Good luck and I hope your hedgie will get well soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am sorry of what happend, but to prevent this for any new hedgie owners, you should ALWAYS find a good exotic vet in your area BEFORE you get a hedgehog, and your case is the exact reason why. :( Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts