Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. :D

The past few days Rocko hasn't been quite normal. He seems very sleepy and a little bit grouchy, which is out of character for him. I was holding him today and he just kept falling asleep in my hands instead of trying to escape like normal, and his back and forehead seemed very sensitive.

He has been eating and drinking normally, and also has normal poop. I gave him some mealies earlier and he gobbled them up happily. Generally he looks healthy, but I don't think he ran on his wheel last night.

Rocko is about fourteen weeks old now, and over the past two weeks or so he's been losing quills like he did when he was nine weeks. I heard that 12-14 weeks is when his adult quilling occurs. The quills he's losing are HUGE, too, not like when he was a little baby. They have a ball on the end and everything so I'm not suspicious of mites.

Is my little man sick, or just going through puberty? :lol:
I know, I worry way too much..

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There is no 100% correct diagnosis for mites. Not even the vet is error free, as there can always be false negatives.

However, if there are no bald spots. If he is growing in as many quills as he is losing, then it'll most likely be quilling. A nice soothing spa day as you would when he went through his first quilling would be good. When my boy went through his latter quillings, I noticed that he lost just as many adult quills as he did baby quills. I'd made a post about that, but there were no real answers, and as long as he looked healthy, all was well.

All this is under the assumption that the temp is good and he's getting 12 hours of light.

As long as nothing else seems wrong(no sneezing) when you put him down, he can walk without looking wobbly(weak), then there probably isn't much to worry about. ^_^

1 - 2 of 2 Posts