Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
There are so many things that can cause a head tilt, ear infection, vestibular syndrome, mites and yes, WHS. Don't worry about WHS at the moment because it would not cause the respiratory issues or loss of appetite. WHS hogs usually continue to have a good appetite.

Vestibular syndrome can cause the head tilt and loss of appetite as because they are dizzy, they don't feel like eating. Usually with it, they have difficulty walking or don't want to walk because they are so dizzy.

Ear infections can come from a drop of water in the ear during the bath, or if they scratch their ears, think poopy foot scratching an ear. Usually they scratch at their ears if they have an ear infection, they also shake their head. When my Roll had the ear infection, he was on drops as well as antibiotic. The drops were just ordinary polysporin ear drops. With an ear infection their appetite can go because it hurts to chew. The chance of both of them getting an ear infection at the same time would be unlikely.

If he is not showing respiratory symptoms and was checked out okay by the vet then he did not pass anything to the girls except for possibly mites.

Hedgehogs can come down with URI's from stress but it is highly doubtful that the addition of your new boy to their room would cause a URI and especially not both of them. If that were the case, my gang would be sick all the time as I'm constantly taking in rescues and rehomes. I really don't think they even notice a newcomer to their room. Usually URI's don't cause loss of appetite until it has progressed quite far and for both of them to quit eating at the same time is really odd.

By chance did you get a new bag of food? I've had it happen that the formula of a food changed without notice and suddenly everyone decided they didn't like it.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Whether to treat for mites or not is a difficult decision especially while they are sick and not eating on their own. Revolution is processed through the liver and I guess I would be hesitant to use it right now especially not knowing for certain if they even have mites.

I would think using the polysporin ear drops would be fine but I think it would be best to ask your vet.

Usually it takes something really stressful like surgery, hibernation attempt, going to another house while owner is on vacation etc. A new food or removal of a food is unlikely to cause it and especially not to both girls at the exact same time. It is so weird that they both stopped eating the same day.

How long have you had Oakley and how long after did the girls get sick?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.