Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I am the owner of a 3 year old female hedgehog. Until recently my hedgie was always in perfect health. Last week we noticed that the Hedgie was urinating blood and her stool was an odd colour. We took her to the vet promptly, and he diagnosed her with a UTI like infection and gave us antibiotic. Its been 5 days and the colour of her urine and stool have returned to normal. We were assuming that we dodged a bullet on that one.
Today I was clipping her nails and i noticed what appeared to be a lump inside her chest (top left side). I poked it and it didnt seem to bother her at all. It moved slightly when poked. The hedgie has not lost any weight and is still eating and drinking the same amounts. This was also true while she had the infection. Her behavior is also the same.
I am going to call the vet first thing tomorrow. I am just looking for an idea about what to expect. I live in a small town and we only have one exotic vet and he's usually very busy. No other vet will look at the hedgehog :( I know hedgies are prone to tumors/cancer, I'm just wondering if it could be anything else.
Thanks soooo much
*AMY*

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The lump is very possibly a mammary tumour. That combined with the bleeding makes me wonder if her UTI is in fact uterine bleeding. Did the vet gas her and pull some urine directly from her bladder? If not, there is no way to be certain the blood is urinary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply!
What you are suggesting seems to make sense... The vet did not do a urine test so the blood could possibly be uterine.
What's the typical prognosis for a mammary tumor? Sounds grim to me :(

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
My Peaches had a malignant mammary tumour removed when she was 18 months old and died 3 months short of her 5th birthday. She died from an oral tumour and had no other reproductive issues during that time. I often though that perhaps the pathology on her mammary tumour was wrong as her prognosis was not good at the time the tumour was removed and usually mammary tumour recurrence is 8-12 months from the initial tumour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts