Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days I noticed my hedgehog, Gus was starting to sneeze and it became quite frequent. He also has a wet nose and is licking it pretty constantly. He has a vet appointment for tomorrow night. I was wondering however, my roomates cat is also sick..from his symptoms and the research I've done I'm pretty certain the cat has an upper respiratory infection. Gus was not showing any symptoms until a week or two after the cat became sick. I wll ask the vet about this, but I just wanted to know if it was possible for the cat to pass on the infection to Gus?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would think that depends on how much contact they have. If contact is non existent or minimal I think it is unlikely. What is more likely is that it is something in the environment that made them both sick and the cat was just more susceptible to it. Of course if the cat's infection is caused by an air born virus then I guess your hedgehog could have caught it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Gus went to the vet today, and he has a URI (the vet said that is very unlikely that the cat passed this on to him). The vet gave us antibiotics to help clear it up faster. Apparently it doesn't taste very good though and it was very difficult to give him the antibiotics tonight. Is there something that the antibiotics can me mixed with that masks the taste?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
when I had to give one of my hedgies some antibiotics, I mixed it with some Hills A/D canned food, which you can get at the vet and it is easy to water down. I would put a bit of it in a syringe with the antibiotics and feed it to her that way. She would be looking for it when she heard me coming in the room...lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts