Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm finding it literally impossible to find bedding that i feel comfortable/confident using in my new hedgehog's cage here in Japan, so i'm trying to be creative....

my plan is to cover the bottom of the cage with fleece (ie. a fleece blanket cut to the size of the cage) for warmth + softness and i bought a paper shredder so that he'll have shredded paper to borrow in because fleece by itself is boring. why should a hedgehog be denied the enjoyment of borrowing which comes naturally to them?

i understand that ink in shredded paper can be toxic, especially if it gets wet from urine, but using blank paper would be fine, no...? and if the shredder is kept clean, i don't see any issue with dust. as for the potential for paper cuts, i could easily crinkle or ball up the shredded paper to help "soften" it before putting it in the cage.

in my mind it seems like this will work, but i want to bounce the idea off of others in case i've missed something. what do you think?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't use paper. I would use a fleece liner and then get a little igloo or hideaway and put cut (but large enough so your hedgehog won't choke on it if eaten,) fleece strips so she/7he can still enjoy the fun of burying. Hope I helped!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Paper is very very dusty, especially shredded paper and when it is wet it becomes very cold and can cause your hedgehog to become chilled. As mentioned above fleece strips are much better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm.... thank you both for the advice.

i just brought home my new hedgie tonight and already it seems that he's very fond of burrowing underneath the fleece liner (i haven't put any shredded paper in the cage as of yet). even when i provided a nice fluffy pile of fleece (that hasn't been cut into strip or anything), it was still the liner that he wanted to get under....? i swear he's like a cat: bring him a nice thing and all he wants is the box/packaging? lol

anyway, i'm still not sold on the shredded paper = bad by default thing (why would paper be any dustier than aspen etc? and why would it be any colder when wet?), but i guess i'll give fleece strips try if i can find another fleece blanket to cut up.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good.

I'm glad you are not doing the paper because like Nikki said of wet it would get colder where as other paper bedding a like carefrEsh, etc. absorb liquids. You can get small packs of fleece strips on hedgie stores online or they sell packs on etsy for hedgehogs. It is pretty cheap. Wish you luck with your new boy!

·
Registered
809 Posts
My guys love their fleece strips. They burrow into them and seem to really enjoy it. Also though they do spend a lot of time under the fleece liner, or between the folds.
~shrug~ it's just what they like.
My fleece strips come from a large piece of fleece I got at the fabric store on sale that weirdly enough has little asian girls on it. Cut it into 1.5 x 2.5 strips and toss them in. Wash through the washing machine in a lingerie bag. No issues. All done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts