Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the pet store the other day and bought my two hedgies a new and expensive cage. I went and asked a person who worked there if it would be safe for hedgehogs and he said yes. It was a nice, three leveled, stable ladders, stable floors cage that was a pain to put together. I spent all of my birthday money that I had at that time on this cage. I could care less about the money as long as my hedgies are safe and had fun, though.

My sister woke me up last night at about 12:00 and she looked worried. She told me that her hedgehog flipped off of the ladder and landed on her face and my hedgehog fell off and got bruised. :cry: I went in the other room, the ladder was on the floor, my hedgehog, Seth, had a bruise on his back, and my sister's hedgehog had a cut on both sides of her face. Don't panic - what I saw isn't as bad as it sounds. I quickly took off all of the floors and ladders and moved the food and water down to the bottom floor. All they had after that was the bottom floor. I feel so bad for getting them a cage that hurt them! :cry:

Today they were up and walking around. They were doing a lot better, but I'm still not sure if I should take them to a vet or not. My dad said that he would give me all of the money that I spent on the cage, but I don't care about that. I need my hedgies to be safe. That cage was supposed to be safe for them! :evil: I can't help but feel bad whenever I see my sister's hedgehog's cuts. :cry: Do you think that I should take the hedgehogs to a vet tomorrow, just in case?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would definitely take them to the vet. Falls like that can be fatal.

Are your hedgies in the same cage?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hedgehogs should NEVER have MULTIPLE levels unless ALL sides of the ladder AND second/third etc etc level are completely blocked off.

But it's too late now...and so...

YES to the VET. There could be broken bones or internal bleeding, or BOTH.

Dorasdaddy's Millie died shortly after jumping from his hand into the tub...A mere few inches.

Better safe than sorry, to make sure there are no broken bones and internal bleeding.

Side note...your post only seemed like you were only going to get ONE cage....But TWO hedgehogs got hurt? Do you have them housed together? Are you housing this BROTHER and SISTER pair TOGETHER?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I remember you saying your hedgie is a male, and you don't even know the gender of your sister's hedgie. Males can and will fight to death, and male/female pairings are disastrous and potentially fatal at the fragile young age that yours are. You need to buy two new cages immediately. I cannot believe that someone would breed their hedgehog without even knowing basic housing requirements.

Side note...your post only seemed like you were only going to get ONE cage....But TWO hedgehogs got hurt? Do you have them housed together? Are you housing this BROTHER and SISTER pair TOGETHER?
ETA: Immortalia got my shock just right. :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the cage has different levels, each level needs to be completely enclosed. The ramps also need to be enclosed (most people use tubes of some sort - dryer exhaust vent, pvc, ferret tubes, etc.) Ladders are definitely not ok, ramps are okay as long as you properly enclose them. I would look at this thread for examples of proper ramps and loft enclosures, as well as examples of proper housing for hedgehogs: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860

The reason for all this is that falling from even a few inches could be fatal. You should read this thread (it pretty much encapsulates the importance of properly securing hedgehog housing) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2978

Also, if your hedgehogs are in the same cage, they should be separated immediately. More information here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43

Also, as everyone else is saying... go to the vet!! Those falls could be fatal. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So many questions to answer.... As babies, they are in the same cage. They won't mate if they're babies and my sister's is a girl. And if they're two males, they still get along very well. They don't fight at all, but that doesn't matter now because today my sister got a cage for hers. In fact, my hedgehog was upset and bit me for the first time when his brother/sister went into the other cage. We decided that we would just keep the cages right next to their brother or sister. And thank you for telling me about how the extra levels can be dangerous. Like I said, they were up walking around and playing today. I am going to see if my parents can take them to a vet tomorrow. I am scared for them and I feel really bad. :( Thanks for all of the info! I'm allergic to their new bedding that they've had this whole time they've been here, so I feel bad for switching from bedding to woodchips on them!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
As babies, they are in the same cage. They won't mate if they're babies and my sister's is a girl. And if they're two males, they still get along very well.
If they're old enough to be living on their own away from mom they are old enough to mate or injure each other.

In fact, my hedgehog was upset and bit me for the first time when his brother/sister went into the other cage. We decided that we would just keep the cages right next to their brother or sister.
Your hedgehog did not bite you because his sibling got a new cage. How was that separation any different than taking her out to play any other time? You must have smelled good or threatening or irritated him in some other way. Just so you know, keeping males and females in close proximity can cause sexual frustration between the two, which as you can imagine is not fun for either.

I'm glad you're getting new cages and getting them to a vet. Please read up some more on hedgehog care, I think it's obvious that it's needed.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
hedgehogs can breed as young as 7-8 weeks...and in some cases even earlier...as soon as they are weaned from their mother they need to be seperated....it can be fatal if a female hedgehog becomes pregnant that young or can affect their health from the rest of their life.

If your hedgie bit you and this is unusual for him it could be because he's in pain from the fall...not a good thing...

to sex them...look at their tummies...if they have what looks like a belly button in the middle of their tummy...its a boy and that's its penile sheath...if no bump in the middle..its a girl..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, whenever they are together, we keep a close eye on them for anything that could go wrong. I'm very glad my sister was watching the hedgehogs during the fall. Everyone else was asleep, and without my sister being there, they could've kept on going and died.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It only takes a few seconds for a male to get a female pregnant, so even keeping an eye on them (if they are male & female) is probably not good enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm.... Mating sort of isn't the problem. Can't the female get very sick if she get's pregnant with a brother? That's been the main concern for me - other than them falling.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
HedgehogBoy42 said:
Hmmmm.... Mating sort of isn't the problem. Can't the female get very sick if she get's pregnant with a brother? That's been the main concern for me - other than them falling.
If they are NOT together AT ALL, no contact whatsoever, then she wouldn't get SICK and PREGNANT to begin with.

So yes, MATING is the first step of the problem, because they need to MATE to get her pregnant.

She is still a baby herself and is still growing, she can die by giving away ALL her nutrition to the growing babies. She can be stunted forever, unable to grow and properly develop her own body because she is unable to hold onto the nutrients for herself.

So not only can she get "very sick" she can DIE.

A side question to breeders... Is it possible to ABORT(especially in this case), or would the only possibility be to spay(and abort as well). However, being that it's near impossible to tell if a hedgehog is pregnant, would a spaying at this age(if the owner was lucky and she's not pregnant) be too stressful?

Theoretically speaking...Which would be better?
Spay & abort or allow this baby to carry to term?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
just allowing them to be together...even supervised isn't good for them...Hedgeghogs are induced ovulators..which means they release an egg when they are in direct contact with a male...so by letting them be together even supervised means she will ovulate...and having that happen over and over again isn't healthy for her and just causes frustration in the male..they will be healthier...and happier...if they are never together at all.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
As babies, they are in the same cage.
Yea, whenever they are together, we keep a close eye on them for anything that could go wrong. I'm very glad my sister was watching the hedgehogs during the fall. Everyone else was asleep, and without my sister being there, they could've kept on going and died.
I think it's funny how at first they were living together because they are babies, and then all of a sudden his sister is staying up all night (when does she sleep, if she's supervising them all night? lol) to supervise?

I would assume that if your sister had them in the same cage late at night when everyone else was sleeping, that she was planning on leaving them there when she finally went to bed. That would mean that yes, they are being left together unsupervised.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My question is how old are these little ones if you can see a bruise on his back? If old enough to be away from mom then the qull coat should be so dense that you couldnt see his back.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Lizard Girl..i think they were living together when they fell...but now he has them seperated and only together supervised...which yes i know..isn't good...they shouldn't be together at all..supervised or not....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I hope that the vet visit goes well. Hopefully there is only minimal damage and it is treatable.

I'm sure you feel really bad about not knowing that it was the wrong kind of cage. Good for you for acting so quickly and taking out the second levels. Although you shouldn't have taken the advice of the pet store before double checking they shouldn't be giving incorrect advise. Please make them aware of what happened and talk to the manager about giving you a full refund for the cages. If you don't get a refund the store will just keep giving the same bad advice to other owners.

I think the housing males and females together issue has been covered so I won't go on about it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Your hedgehog did not bite you because his sibling got a new cage.
Actually, he might have. The OP has THREE hedgehogs, a male named Sonic who was bred to a neighbor's hedgehog to produce the two babies, who are male and female. If he were keeping all three in the same cage, the sire of the two, who is an adult male, could very well have bitten because the female was removed from mating.

To the OP:

You said early on that you KNEW that they needed two sets of everything. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2851&p=23372#p23372

Seriously, you may now have a very pregnant baby hedgehog who could be pregnant by her own father. And yes, they do that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts