Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm finally getting my hedgie this sunday and I'm just finishing up getting everything ready for him :)

My question is, I'm going to have his bed,food, and water in a 64 quart bin and his toys,wheel, and litter in a 105 quart bin. Should I put screen on both the lids, or one? And should I just heat where he'll be sleeping, or both bins??

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :3

<3

P.S.-im drilling the holes for ventalation and connecting pvc thursday :) and adding necessary screening

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The screen and heat will be needed for both bins. :)

Moving from a warm sleeping area to a cooler running/eating area can cause them to attempt hibernation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright :D thanks so much ^w^ also, could I sit the heat lamp right on top of the screen? Or would that heat the screening and melt the bin?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It depends on how high the bin is. I wouldn't want your hedgie to be able to reach it and get fried. The screen would be hot but should not be hot enough to melt the bin.

Have you considered using a space heater? That way you can heat the whole thing without worrying about the CHE being too close to your hedgie.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I personally would not use a heat emitter on top of any cage unless it is wire such as a standard plastic bottomed wire topped cage, or a C&C. Emitters get hot and need a solid surface that won't melt. Screen is not suitable for using with an emitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts