Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

3 and a half weeks until I can take my baby home and I'm having a bit of an internal dilemma.

I've purchased a 2x4 C&C cage that should be arriving soon, however I can't decide if I should leave the cage on the floor or put it on a table.

I have no other pets or small children, just two adults living in my house, so I'm not worried about anyone or anything getting into the cage, but I would like to have some storage space under the cage to keep all of my hedgehog things. I didn't want to buy more cubes as they are quite expensive in the UK but I am prepared to buy a table. Ikea have one that I believe would be suitable in length but the width is 2cm too short, but I don't think that would be a problem.

I have bought a lid for the cage but I don't want to risk my hedgie somehow escaping and then falling from the table and hurting/killing herself. The only benefits I can think of for putting the cage on the table would be that it might be warmer (but the floor is carpeted so maybe not and I have a CHE) and the storage space.

I think putting the cage on the table might end up being a waste of money but I wanted to get some other opinions...

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you have coroplast on the sides of the cage I don't think you should worry about your hedgie escaping. Just have the coroplast walls high enough so your hedgie can't climb. Plus you will have the lid so your hedgie definitely won't escape.

Many people have their cages elevated. I like the idea of the table with storage underneath. Makes everything clean and tidy

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hot air rises and cool air sinks. It will always be colder in the basement, and bottom levels of a house than the top levels. Top levels will be harder to cool and bottom levels will be harder to heat. Same applies for rooms as well. Hot air will rise and the cool air will sink (the molecules are heavier at lower temps). This isn't normally felt by us since we take up a good amount of vertical space. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts