Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new hedgie owner and I have a bit of concern. I am hoping someone in here could give me some direction.

She is one day shy of being 5 months old. On her first vet visit, December 13, 2023, the vet said she was in great health, but noticed a little bit of dry skin. She said nothing to be too concerned about.

As of this last 2 weeks, starting noticing quills falling out and flaky skin. I read this is normal as they are quilling and growing their new quills. I also read to give them a bath in oatmeal, so I have done that as well.

What's concerning is she seems to still be losing quite a bit of quills, but again, being a newbie, not sure if these are her baby quills or her adult ones, they appear to be larger than the baby quills.

She has a fleece liner for her cage floor that is changed daily and she's litter trained using the Katy Clay Training Litter.

I took a magnifying otoscope and made a few videos of what her skin/quills look like. I didn't see anything that was crawling, so I don't think it's mites.

Would someone please take a look at these pictures and videos and give me some direction as to what might be going on and is there cause for concern.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b0aPBpgL-7V2ShEJCWVl2bYw

Thank You so Much
Rectangle Water Font Tints and shades Liquid

Light Fixture Black Lighting Wood

Head Organism Plant Snout Pattern

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi!

So I think she is just going through another stage of quilling. Does the wire in the photo poke her feet by chance?
No, it's just the temperature probe. It hangs above her.

Also update. The vet found that she has mites :(. Started her on Revolution and she has a visit in another month. Since then we have cleaned and freezes everything she comes in contact with.

· Registered
7 Posts

Also update. The vet found that she has mites :(. Started her on Revolution and she has a visit in another month. Since then we have cleaned and freezes everything she comes in contact with.

Oh, ok. I couldn't tell from the pic.

Ah, ok, I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Oh no! Praying everything goes smoothly for y'all! I use the Aveno baby oatmeal shampoo. I only bathe Maggie and Rolo about once a month so their skin doesn't dry out. However Rolo likes the water so I just let her splash around sometimes.

I hope your sweet hedgie gets rid of her mites soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts