Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the days get shorter and cooler, it is prime time for hibernation attemps to begin. It's so easy to let a summertime practice carry over into the fall and we forget our winter routine.

Just a refresher:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Definitely a good thing to remind us all of. I've been having to put my space heater on before I go to bed because we had a couple of nights/early mornings that were a bit cool.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In Florida....it is still stifling hot...lol But i'll make sure to come back to this sometime in November!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
raisinsushi said:
In Florida....it is still stifling hot...lol But i'll make sure to come back to this sometime in November!
Temperature isn't the only thing that can cause hibernation. Some can attempt hibernation from lack of enough lighting. With the days getting shorter, lighting is usually required.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I'd like to point out that most hibernation attempts will happen overnight so it is important that you check your hedgehog first thing in the morning and ensure s/he is warm. There is no need to wake him him, just slide your hand under his bedding and feel for heat. If the area underneath him is toasty warm, then he is fine. If you feel no warmth, then he needs to be woken up to ensure he is warm.

If you find the hedgehog is in a curled up quilly unresponsive ball and feels cold then he is most likely trying to hibernate. He needs to be warmed up slowly. Under your clothing against your body will work or laying a heating pad on low on you and cover with a blanket and put the hedgehog on it. Never leave an unresponsive hedgehog on a heating device and make sure whatever you use is not too warm. He needs to warm up slowly.

If you find your hedgehog is like this, do not assume he is dead. I know of one instance where a family assumed their new hedgehog had died but everything they told me pointed to hibernation.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Aaaand I find out just how very true this is the hard way. :? I was away last night with a friend and left Lily at home to be watched by my mom. My mom did everything I told her to, but I didnt think about the fact that the days have also been cooler, and my mom doesn't like having the space heater on 24/7, though it goes on at nights no matter what. She turned it off in the morning when opening the window shade and I came home to a room at 73 degrees and a cold hedgie. :( I kept her in my shirt for about half an hour and she warmed up fine, and I kept the space heater on the rest of the day, but it gave me a good scare. I won't be letting the temp get that low again. I think I'm actually going to switch over to a ceramic heat emitter if I can work out what all I need and which pet store has it all. I don't want to take any chances with Lily this winter. Just wanted to share to really point out how important the warnings are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a question about the heat emiter. I purchased one (100 w) and the reflector it screws into. If I leave it on it gets so hot I cant touch it, so I am afraid to leave it on overnight. Trixies igaloo gets hot on top inside the cage. My question is, what kind of thermostat and how to attach it to the reflector ? I cant access the links in Nancy's hibernation remarks, so I am asking now, even if it has been covered before. I do have a thermometer attached to the cage and the cage is in a corner with 2 sides protected, and I have a fleece blanket over the open end. She seems ok but was a bit cool when I checked on her this morning before I left for work. I would appreciate a reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts