Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there hegehog parents!

I'm hoping someone can help me out. My 2yr. female has recently started biting herself on her neck. it's been about two weeks and it scabs then she bites again. she's super sassy and balls up a lot so trying to clean it is near impossible and I don't want to stress her out. The first time this occurred was after I had given her a bath 2 weeks ago. it was very random as I've bathed her before and never had experienced her biting herself. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sometimes when they bite themselves it means they're trying to get at something itchy or painful that's bothering them. Aside from the biting, is she displaying any other abnormal behaviour?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biting is the only difference in her behavior lately. Shes still eating and drinking normally. she did have mites and I began treatment on them right after she started biting herself because I figured she was biting because of the mites, but it (the biting) hasn't discontinued. :/

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Has she been to a veterinarian to rule out possible bacterial, or even possibly a fungal infection causing the issue?

Sometimes chewing on themselves is a result of stress, which can become habit. Othertimes it can be mites, a bacterial infection or even a fungal infection that is causing discomfort. Its best to have a veterinarian check it out, and possibly take a sample from the area to culture to rule out various types of infections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts