Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
You really can't go by a number as to what is a healthy weight. Like people, hedgehogs come in all sizes and what is a good weight for one may be too thin or too fat for another. Go by her body shape and how she feels. Some are slim runners body shape but they shouldn't be concave at the sides and they should not have a boney feel to them.

Edited to correct: I put they should be concave. It should and now does read, they SHOULDN'T be concave.

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
I just corrected my previous post. I had written they should be concave and what I really meant was that the shouldn't be concave.

How old is she? She may have reached full growth and may just be a small girl, or she may be in a slow or no growth stage. Like human kids, sometimes they grow in spurts.

Sometimes the runners and super active ones need some higher fat in their diets. Instead of a lite food, you can use the regular formula. Extra mealies are fine too.

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
She's still a baby even though she will always be your baby. :lol: At her age, she still needs higher fat food. I usually keep babies on kitten kibble until they are 4 - 6 months old depending on the size of the baby. Smaller, slower growing ones stay on it longer than those who grow really fast and could start to become overweight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.