Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My hedgehog is about 8 months old and, according to the vet, extremely healthy and social. He's frequently around new people and is comfortable interacting with them (for a hedgehog). The issue I'm having is that very suddenly, in the last week, he's become a little too friendly- I saw his penis for the first time ever on monday and now, on sunday, have seen it twice more. two of the times I saw it he's been sitting in my lap. I thought that he had gone through puberty and reached sexual maturity a few months ago, but now I'm noticing this. Is it normal for a male hedgehog to suddenly become so horny? I'm worried about having him in my bed or on my lap now.

Will this go away after a bit? I know he'll always be sexually mature now but I'm getting upset by seeing him doing his thing all the time now.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Male hedgehogs masturbate, that's normal. Some do it out in the open while others are more discreet about it. I've seen some males going through what looked like a puberty stage, where they masturbated more frequently, but they will usually do it their whole lives. These males were often a little younger though but it could be that you simply just didn't see it before, or that he used to do it when he was in his cage.

I wouldn't be too bothered by it, it's just normal for them and they have no idea of privacy like we do so yeah... it can happen everywhere :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My hedgehog is about the same age but mine was doing it by about 5 months old, sometimes to the point of ejaculation. It stopped after a couple weeks but I'm sure he'll continue doing it. It is completely normal, just men being men.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts