Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from the breeder that I got my two babies from asking if I'd like to foster. Last night I picked up Amy. It was a guess but we are figuring she is a bit over a year old. She was rescued by a Vet in Austin, Tx but the vets office wasn't condusive to her (obviously lots of noise and frequent smell changes are hard on a hedgie). She got to Dallas Saturday night.

She is extremely scared but social. She huffs and clicks continuously, but comes out of her ball and will look around and actually doesn't have her quills up. I don't believe it will take much to get her relaxed.

Her main issue is that she is thin. I was told that she loves her wheel, but since she is thin maybe she shouldn't have a wheel for a little while. I'm worried that she will get overly bored without one. What do you guys think about her having a wheel while we need to get her to gain?

Also, she was put on Spikes Chicken and Rice to eat. She seems to like mealies as she scarfed a few down out of my hand once I got her home and we gave her a water bottle because she kept dumping her bowl over. She drank really well last night as well.

I don't normally keep eggs at home but I thought the extra protein of boiled eggs may do her well (it was also suggested by the breader). What else might you suggest? Should I add some kitten food to her diet or maybe some soft cat food?

This morning I found her outside of her little house pressed up against the side of her sterilite. Would that be a sign of over heating or maybe a sign of her getting cold and gravitating towards the heat? My two babies stay in their igloos as long as they are asleep. I use a space heater that has a thermostat. The hedgie area is kept around 73 to 75 degrees at all times.

Last but not least, the Hedge Hog show and SonicCon in Dallas happen in November. We are in the planning phase. If there's anyone in the area that would like to help out let me know :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would add in some kitten food. Let her have her wheel every other day. When she was up against the sterilite, how did she feel, cold or warm?

·
Registered
259 Posts
mkmanuel said:
Last but not least, the Hedge Hog show and SonicCon in Dallas happen in November. We are in the planning phase. If there's anyone in the area that would like to help out let me know :)
As someone who has a few comic book artist friends, I love this idea of "SonicCon"!! I only wish I lived a bit closer~ it sure sounds like a great time. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She felt fine as far as her temp, but the heater was running at that time and the crate was really warm. She woke right up and was huffing at me and didn't seem any worse for wear. I know some hedgies don't always sleep in their little houses. Maybe I'm just overly worried because she was new in the house last night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts