Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in Behaviour forum as well, but hoping the breeding experts would help me with this...

So, I pseudo-unexpectedly got a second hedgie. The pet store where I usually get Misha's crickets had a litter of hedgehogs, and one of them was the smallest runt I've ever seen. Easily 1/4 the size of his bros. Anyway, I figured better have him taken in by someone who knows what they're doing, in case he has any health issues. Also, he's the cutest, tiniest little guy. Long story short, I picked him up and brought him home this morning.

Here is the issue: because he was a runt, the store owner kept him with his mom longer than his brothers (he was born in early January). When I came to pick him up, he was still sharing a cage with mom. However, the owner told me he is for sure eating solid food.

In his new cage at home he's so far just been running around frantically for the last fifteen minutes, trying to clamber up the sides and looking really... distressed. I can't help but assume he's looking for mom :(

Anything I should be doing to help him out? Anything I should be on the lookout for in particular? I counted out the food pellets so that I know if he's eating or not, and put one (frozen then thawed) cricket in there for him, too. But it does worry me that he will have a much harder time settling in and eating solid food on his own if this is the first time he's been away from his mom.

Any advice appreciated!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
It usually takes a few days up to a week or two for a hedgehog to settle in to a new home. Sounds normal to me. He just needs loves, treats, and time. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts