Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got Lou and thought that maybe our cat was hurting him. He keeps getting sores on and around his face. We moved him to another room that is kept closed. He is still getting sores like he is hurting himself or something. Does anyone know what is going on with this guy?

·
Registered
412 Posts
That sounds awful!!

I've never heard of "self-inflicting wounds" with hedgehogs, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Did you get him from a pet shop? It actually sounds like some sort of infection. I would definitely get it checked out by a vet, especially if you haven't been to one yet with him.

·
Registered
912 Posts
...or an allergy?
Can you post a pic of his sores? Poor little guy :(

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It may be an allergy, mites or a staph infection. What type of bedding is he on? If shavings or Carefresh, switch to cloth liners. Even a pillow case will work temporarily. Double rinse the liners so there is no soap residue to irritate. What food is he on and was he always on that food?

If this is a staph infection, it will continue until he gets antibiotics. Same with mites. I'd take him to the vet. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get some pics tonight. We did get him from a pet shop about 2 weeks ago. The spots just started coming up a few days after we brought him home. That is why we thought it was the cat. They are above his eyes, on his forehead, and one on the side of his mouth. He has dark wood chips in his cage and the food we feed him is a bag with a hedgehog on the front (Looks like cat food to me). We haven't taken him to the vet yet. But anyways, thanks for the responses, and I look forward to hearing what you guys think when you see the pics.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would switch to high-quality cat food and kiln dried pine or aspen wood shavings (or liners).
Once we see the pictures it will be easier to tell...
Hope everything's okay with your little guy. :)

·
Administrator
3,605 Posts
Maddy, If you rub your hedgehog with a dark cloth, black or dark blue, do you get a lot of flakey stuff coming off of him? If so, do the flakes move?

Also, do you see him scratching a lot? Or rubbing his face?

Are the food pieces star shaped? If so that is pretty pets, which Im surprised he eats it. Its pretty much crap food. Look at the food list that is pinned at the top of the diet section. Most hedgehog foods aren't worth the money it costs to buy them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't get my stupid camera to take a picture right. Sorry. It seems his head is doing better. The sores are starting to go away. Yes about the food. It is the star shaped stuff (Pretty Pets). He doesn't seem to do anything but knock his bowl over. He looooooves the cat food! I'm wondering though......could his sore be from when he balls up to sleep? He prickles when he is sleeping. I will do my darndest to get my camera to work to show you guys. On a side note....He is doing good. His favorite snack is my husband!! He is a fast critter too. We let him run around in our spare bedroom and he looks like a little ball of white lightning!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pretty Pets is not good food. You'd better off with any of the dry cat food's from Reaper's list in the Diet and Nutrition section of the forum.
It's unlikey (although I guess possible) he's getting sores from his quills when he sleeps. Even when their quills are fully up, the hedgehogs do a pretty good job of tucking themselves out of the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts