Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I caught my hedgie making annointing noises just now, and pulled her blanky off to see what was goin on. She was apparently coating her quills with what seemed to be paper-pulp! As if she chewed up her recycled-paper bedding and made spit balls in her quills! I tried to snap a pic of her but she won't stay still lol.

This is odd. I'm trying to figure out what purpose coating her quills with paper serves. I KNOW it's not just her, because I used to find Sweet Pea with paper pulp stuck to her quills and never knew how it got there. I used to use a large-toothed comb to comb it off her quills, after I softened it up in her bath.

Now that Mika is doing it too, it makes me think that there's actually a purpose for her doing this. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some small animals attempt to eat their paper bedding. It's dangerous for them to eat because it can block their digestive track. That's why I use liners for my hedgehog. If your hedgehog tried to eat it or there was a funny smell on the bedding (possibly from you handling it or from food) than that could have prompted anointing. As for the purpose there have been many speculations but no one knows for sure why hedgehogs anoint let alone why the choose what they do to anoint with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts