Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old hedgehog, very social, loves exploring, but whose previous owner did very little with him so he appears to be "toy challenged". He does exercise at night, but in the form of running laps in his cage. Its funny to watch. :)

I bought a Flying Saucer to help with his workout regimen, but he then only comes out of his little hut to eat and then goes right back in. He almost seems scared of the wheel, and my attempts to interest him, and teach him how to use it have been unsuccessful.

My question is this: if a hedgehog doesnt show initial curiousity, is it safe to say that he probably doesnt like the gift you bought? :) I now have a 25 dollar wheel he seems to truly dislike.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You should keep the wheel in for a few weeks at least. He might eventually try to use it. Some hedgehogs have a hard time running on the flying saucer wheel others take to it right away. You could return the flying saucer wheel and opt for the biggest size comfort wheel instead. By the way you also need the biggest size of the flying saucer, I believe it is an extra large. Otherwise it will be too small and he will not use it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My hedgie didn't run on his wheel for a week or two, and then suddenly he was a wheel maniac. I didn't do anything to encourage him to go on it or anything - they'll come around in their own time. (at least, most do :lol: ) He now runs on it for hours at night.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Riley took to his the first night but it was at least a few days or a week before
Whyte used his. I almost put Whyte's wheel back in, thinking he wouldn't ever use the saucer but then one night there was evidence he had been on it and now he's using it every night. I'd say keep the receipt but wait a week or so.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Flying Saucer 12" one, which as I am told is the smallest size for an adult. Sonic was on it immediatly after I bought it, I think its up to the hedgehog really... Ever since I made Sonic his first wheel, he was a wheelaholic, always on it and sometimes I found him asleep on it...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't have any wheel advice other than give it more time or try a different kind, but I thought I'd add something about the playtime/toy thing. Quillbert doesn't have any issues with his bucket wheel but he is also toy challenged. He's very much a snuggler and even though I put him in his play pen with toys the only thing he ever shows an intereist in is the toilet paper tube. I've tried plastic balls, rubber balls, things that jingle and krinkle, a dig box with fleece strips, and large cardboard tubes for him to tunnel around in. But all he ever wants to do is hide in his hedgie bag and nap. Some hedgies just prefer to cuddle I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for all the replies! I actually took the wheel out and was planning to take it back, but I will stick it in his cage and leave it there to see if he will warm up to it. I took it out because, like I said, he seemed afraid of it, and there wasnt any evidence of his normal nightly routine, only that he had eaten. He is normally very curious and exploritory, so its odd he wasnt all over the wheel when I put it in there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My Shelby is the same way.
After I got her I went and got a flying saucer and she didn't want anything to do with it. She would rather run laps in her play pen (and still does) I left it in her cage for 2 months and she never set foot on it (unless I set her on it, but she still would run/walk on it) I got my next girl Wasabe and she didn't want anything to do with it, she would rather play with the toilet paper tubes. On Mothers day I got my baby girl "Wicca" and my boy "Vander".
I tried the wheel with Vander first because he is a big boy and I though he needed to lose a few grams. Well... he didn't like it either. So I put it in Wicca's cage and the very first night I heard a strange sound and got up to check and she was running on it! and she still does for hours every night!
I tried making them new "better" wheels and Wicca of course liked it but it was to tall for her 2 story condo. Shelby and Wasabe neither one want anything to do with it except to crawl under it. But Vander took interest in it!
So he now has it in his bachelor pad and he "walks" (he never gets in a hurry for anything) on it every night for a few hours!

Anyways sorry for the story!
But it really depends on the hedgie, it may take a while for yours to decide to try it out, but then again he may be like Shelby and continue to run laps rather then run on a wheel.
As long as he's getting exorcise and is healthy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I am leaning towards letting him run laps. He doesnt appear to be overweight, and he seems to be "potty trained", so running on a wheel would be a new mess for me to clean up every morning. Julius has a corner of his cage where he "does his business", and then promptly buries it, rather than having to run through it.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Of all the hedgehogs that we've had plus the babies, I have only run into one hedgehog that would not use a wheel and he is now using one in his new home.

Often if they won't use a wheel it is because it is the wrong wheel. Flying saucers are not liked by all hedgehogs. If he won't use a flying saucer, try a bucket wheel, cake walk wheel or comfort wheel.

They really do need the opportunity of having a wheel and sometimes it takes weeks or months for them to catch on. Running laps does not give near as much exercise as running on a wheel all night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! I woke up last night to hear Julius running on his wheel! :-D

At first he was just running laps, but when I woke up a bit later, all I heard was the little pitter patter of his feet on his Flying Saucer.

I wonder if its the YouTube video I watched with him of other hedgehogs running on their wheels... lol... maybe not, but now he seems interested!

Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the saaaaame problem, Penelope would much rather poop and pee on her wheel than run on it. But I've been working on it with her. She will go for a good 10 minutes, then it's back to burrowing. Idk what to do with her. She doesn't like to play with the toys I got her or anything. She cuddles with me sometimes, but only when she is out of her cage and no blankies are around to hide under. I think it's just because I provide a dark area for her to hide in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought the largest comfort wheel & my baby is too short to get on and off it by himself. Should I just wait til he grows up or will he gain weight in that time period if he's not running? He seriously seems to sleep constantly...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I agree with Shae, give him some sort of "stepping stool" to get on the wheel. He still needs a wheel to get exercise no matter how small he is.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had Little Foot's wheel in his cage for about 3-4 months and all he does is poop behind it. I have never seen him on it. He acts like its some foreign object and all he does is eat and hide in his igloo. His activity has decreased since I put it in there in May. Should I take it out? It has been awhile for him to get use to it.

By the way.. he has a Carolina Storm wheel. So it is plenty big enough for him to use and stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts