Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a new thread either yesterday or the other day. I can't remember. It did not receive any replies for some reason. So I am going to make this second attempt hoping someone will have some sort of answer. I have emailed the vet about it but have not yet received a response. Peter Quill is eating and drinking and acting normal, so I am not 100% concerned. Anyhow, I got Peter about two weeks ago. Last Monday, December 21, I took him to the vet because he was constantly sneezing. They said he had a Upper Respiratory Infection and put him on Clavamox twice daily for 7 days. Today is the 7th day. He has had pretty normal poops other than some slimy green ones here and there which I called the vet about. She said to give plain organic yogurt as a treat and it should clear it up. It did for the most part, but the other day, Peter pooped out a clear mucous looking poop and it had bubbles in it. I have attached a picture. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,702 Posts
Its an indication of a very upset GI. If he is only passing mucus or if it starts to get red tinged, he has diarrhea, or the stool is foul smelling, then there is cause to be very worried.

Is he still passing stool? How abnormal is it? Just green or a little soft is typically ok when they are on antibiotics. Diarrhea/watery is a problem. Sometimes the antibiotic needs to be changed as it is causing too much upset, basically making matters worse.

I typically use acidolphilus instead of yogurt. I like the acidolphilus because I can sprinkle it on their food or mix it with a little food puree and syringe feed it to them to ensure they eat it all. Then I don't have to worry about them eating the yogurt or adding another new food.

Also, keep in mind that antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. If the probiotic is given too closely the antibiotic will kill it off. Its best to give a probiotic mid way between antibiotic doses or at a minimum 2 hrs before/after.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the only time I have seen the mucous looking poop. And before he pooped out the mucous, he pooped out several regular poops. That is why I was confused. Ever since then which was on 12/26, he has had normal green or brown formed poops. He is no longer sneezing or anything like that. Do you think it is okay to stop the antibiotics considering this is the 7th day on it as well?

Also, I think I am going to get the acidolphilus. He likes the yogurt but I don't want that to be upsetting his stomach either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I give Charlotte probiotics once a month. I just give her the kind my family takes. They are capsules, I open them up, get a couple meal worms wet, and roll them around in the probiotic. Charlotte gobbles them up and I don't have to worry about her not getting enough or eating around it. :)
Thank you for the advice :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it normal for being on Clavamox? Or do you know? I just woke him up to give him his antibiotics and some food and water and he pooped out a little green poop with a little same clear mucous around it then pooped out another just green sticky poop

·
Registered
63 Posts
Charlotte had a few poops like that when I started transitioning her to her new food. Just like yours it was mixed in with normal poops. Gave her some probiotic and she was fine the next day. For her it was just the sign of an upset tummy b/c of new food.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say make sure you are keeping your vet updated and making sure he knows what is going on, send him the pics also if you can. My experience was that an upset tummy caused Charlotte to have mucous poops like that and probiotics helped her tummy, and hopefully with your little guy it is the same, antibiotics can be rough. :| But don't replace my experience for your own judgement and certainly let the vet know.

As far as probiotics, you can get them in the pharmacy section of any store. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would say make sure you are keeping your vet updated and making sure he knows what is going on, send him the pics also if you can. My experience was that an upset tummy caused Charlotte to have mucous poops like that and probiotics helped her tummy, and hopefully with your little guy it is the same, antibiotics can be rough. :| But don't replace my experience for your own judgement and certainly let the vet know.

As far as probiotics, you can get them in the pharmacy section of any store. :)
Thank you so much. I emailed the vet what was going on and attached the picture but I have not received a response yet. Thank you for your help and advice though.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Personally I'd not seen mucusy poop like that. When I'd see it, it would be mixed with poop to some degree. I'd seen some different poops through the years, including one that was almost half and half. Poop and then mucus. That's not saying that it's never happened while I've had hedgehogs, just not seen it or where it came out. And without seeing it come out, I would say that could easily be vomit.
Hopefully it was a one I me thing and his digestive tract can start to balance out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I'd not seen mucusy poop like that. When I'd see it, it would be mixed with poop to some degree. I'd seen some different poops through the years, including one that was almost half and half. Poop and then mucus. That's not saying that it's never happened while I've had hedgehogs, just not seen it or where it came out. And without seeing it come out, I would say that could easily be vomit.
Hopefully it was a one I me thing and his digestive tract can start to balance out.
Yesterday was the last day for his antibiotics. Hopefully he starts to feel better soon.!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.