Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know from previous posts (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4596 ; viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4650) Puff and I have been having some major URI / antibiotic woes. :( I finally heard back from my vet today who had some suggestions on what to do next but due to the lack of hedgehog knowledge in the vet world, I always like to get a second opinion first.

Summary:
-Earlier last week Puff was wheezing in sleep, sneezing, gooping
-Last Thursday went to vet, diagnosed with "somewhat laboured breathing", prescribed 8 day antibiotic dose - been taking Novo-Trimel (48mg/ml - dose of 0.32 cc /12 hrs)
-Has green diarrhea stool on the wheel and very small amount of solid stool in the litter each morning since and has been on/off her food (one night eats normal amount, the next hardly any) - Still eating mealies and crickets even if doesn't touch the dry kibble
-Been giving her crushed acidophilus tablets sprinkled on crickets between the antibiotic doses since last Sunday and syringe feeding her wet cat food/baby food each morning when she hasn't eaten the night before as well as pedialyte to prevent dehydration
-The green stool on wheel has been getting less "green" each night, and this morning it looked greenish brown with some solid stool in the litter and she ate a normal amount of kibble

The vet's suggestion:
-Stop the antibiotic after tonight (2 days before the 8-day dose is up)
-Wait until after the weekend to see if the stool clears up and eating resumes to normal
-If she still sounds like she's having breathing troubles, go back for a recheck early next week and do one or both of the follwoing:
1) get x-rays (which means sedation) to check lungs
2) put her on a different antibiotic

My concern:
-Stopping the antibiotic dose early and waiting until next week may let any remaining "super" bacteria result in a worse upper respiratory infection (although I don't think she's getting the full antibiotic dose anyways because she lets it fall out her mouth after I syringe it and I can't get her to take it any other way than scruffing her and syringing it)
-Getting x-rays and sedation may be more of a risk than a gain if she doesn't need them, but putting her on a different antibiotic or not doing anything if she seems better could be more risky if she does still have a URI or has some other lung problem besides a URI

All this being said... her breathing DOES seem better, still some nose goop and nose licking but it's clear and could just be regular wet hedgie nose, and I haven't heard any wheezing. She IS still eating enough (between her eating her kibble and me syringing her) and her poop IS getting better... but I don't know if I should wait until next week to see the vet

Very frustrated and worried what to do - Any advice is appreciated!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I would listen to the vet. So long as she seems improved aside from the poopies...
I think anyone here would agree that the vet SAW her and knows better than we can assume.

Get her some unspiced pumpkin to thicken the stool.

You should trust your vets decision, but if you are uncomfortable, AT THE FIRST SIGN OF ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE SITUATION after stopping the antibiotics feel free to contact a second vet!

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope for a speedy recovery for your pal.


;) I'm a worried hedgie parent too. You are in the right place,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
StellaWithaBow said:
I would listen to the vet. So long as she seems improved aside from the poopies...
I think anyone here would agree that the vet SAW her and knows better than we can assume.

Get her some unspiced pumpkin to thicken the stool.

You should trust your vets decision, but if you are uncomfortable, AT THE FIRST SIGN OF ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE SITUATION after stopping the antibiotics feel free to contact a second vet!

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope for a speedy recovery for your pal.

;) I'm a worried hedgie parent too. You are in the right place,
Thanks for the advice. :)

Normally I would trust my vet, I scoped them out before I got my hedgies and after the initial visit they seemed very qualified (minus recommending hedgie food instead of cat food) but at the last visit she kind of shook my faith in her when she told me my 500 ad 600g hedgehogs were morbidly obese and that if I didn't switch them hedgehog food right away, the results would not be good. I tried to explain nutrition and weight to her but when I told her a hedgehog could be 500-1000g and still a healthy shape she told me that was the craziest thing she ever heard. I know most vets are lacking nutrition knowledge...but I feel like if they don't know the basics or aren't willing to update their info...how can I trust them with the more serious issues you know?

Unfortunately the other hedgehog vet in the area told me my hedgehogs MUST be sedated for every appointment, so there's no way I'm going there. There is one more clinic that *occassionally* sees exotics...but I don't know what's worse - no knowledge at all on hedgies or the wrong nutrition knowledge but the right medical knowledge?

On the other hand, respiratory problems can happen in all exotic species and I'm sure my vet does know what she's doing as far as antibiotics go so maybe I will take her advice and stop the antibiotic, but I think I will go in Saturday instead of next week if possible to make sure the URI is gone for sure.

I've heard pumpkin is more for diarrhea/constipation and that it can actually do more harm than help when it comes to intestinal/stomach issues? Not sure if this is true though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I hope all is well, or at least better.

I'm sorry to hear your local vets are so picky...

Maybe working with this one IS your best bet,
and I've been told pumpkin usually settles MANY digestive tract issues.

When mine was gassy with runny poo I was reccommended the pumpkin too.

Any improvements?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Puff is doing much better now. I went with my instinct and finished the complete antibiotic dosing. Her green stool is completely better, her eating is totally back to normal and her breathing seems to be totally back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top