Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Batman decided to redecorate his cage the other night (moved his wheel, food and water bowl, and removed the cage liner) and the following morning I took him out to give him a bath. That's when I noticed he has a large scrape/ burn like bruise on his neck near his paw. It looks like the first layer of skin was scratched off. There seems to be dry blood on it as well. I washed him and took out all the bedding from his cage to prevent any infection. Due to the holidays, I won't be able to get him to the vet until Monday. The animal hospital vet isn't very knowledgeable about hedgehogs so I do not want to take him there. From yesterday to today the wound has darkened in color (the night before the bruise seemed whitish like wet skin). It seems like a darker later is covering the bruise. Is it becoming infected? Is it healing? How do I keep him from scratching it? Is there anything I can put on it until Monday? I'm really worried. He is fidgety and spent yesterday running around his cage in the afternoon (he usually sleeps at this time). He is eating and drinking without a problem. Has anyone experienced this before?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts