Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am concerned that there might be a problem with my Coraline. She seems to be scratching a lot while in her cage, I don't know if it's mites or just dry skin, so my questions are, what kind of oatmeal should be used for oatmeal baths, what brands or any of that info, and how much does it normally cost for a vet visit. Normally I would be fine financially but today I had to cancel my debit card because someone stole my credit numbers and spent over $300.

She seems fine right now, I can hear her running on her wheel. But I want to be sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Aveeno Bath Oatmeal but some take regular oatmeal, put it in a stocking and swish it around in the bath. Also can use flaxseed oil. Get the capsules, poke a hole in one and put it in a cup of water to rinse the hedgie with or you can put it over their food once a week.

Not sure on your vet price. They all differ it seems depending on location, etc. Does she have any bald spots?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am in Canada and my vet only charged me for the Revolution dosage, which was under $20.

I also read on the forum that the pharmacy brand of unscented oatmeal body wash is just as fine as the brand name stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I haven't noticed any unusual bald spots, just the itching. I was listening to her from my bed and she did it like 5 times in five minutes which seemed unusual to me, it just worried me and I thought I would check into it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can do a quick mite check by getting a dark piece of paper and holding your girl over it. Rub back and forth on her quills to get some "dander" to fall out. Take a look at what fell, you might need some sort of magnification, but if it moves it's mites and if it doesn't it's dry skin. Not very scientific, but it helps give you an idea anyways :)

I just went to a vet in MA. The "well check" was ~$50, and then a mite check (as Winston had VERY dry skin) was $26 on top of that. He did not have mites, so that was good. He DID scratch quite a bit with his dry skin. Not sure if I counted it, but thinking back he doesn't scratch at all now. And yes, I did the paper thing before I took him in and nothing moved, but I wanted to be sure :lol:

As for what cured his dry skin, I gave him one bath with Aveeno baby wash with Oatmeal. Then I used this stuff the vet gave me for him where I put it on his food. It's a mix of Omega 3's and fish oil but it doesn't smell fishy. People use it on cats and dogs, too. I heard someone on here used "Sunshine Factor" to great effect, also something you put on the food. His skin took about 3 weeks to get better, now it's lovely. I have not bathed him since that once, except for poopy boot washes.

In my weird brain, putting stuff on food to fix the internal problem seems better than slathering their outsides in oil. I mean, if I had lizard skin I would drink more water, I wouldn't just put a load of lotion on, right?

Anyways, hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like to use a few drops of jojoba oil on dry skin, both for the hedgehog and for myself. It's a little expensive - I usually pay about $8 for 4 oz. - but a bottle lasts me for a year at least.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How old is your hedgie? There's a chance that he might be quilling, which is when young hedgehogs lose their baby quills and acquire their adult quills/colors. My girl Annabelle is going through this right now. She is very itchy, especially when she's trying to run on her wheel. She has also been a bit grumpy as of late because her back is tender from the new quills erupting. You can soothe your hedgie's itchies with an oatmeal bath. :) I hope he feels better soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.