Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my little guy has this scratching goin on... but ONLY at night.... never during the day when i take him out to play... he'll run around and never scratch... but when he's alone in his cage on his wheel he runs... then scratches... and its pretty often too... i don't know if its cuz he's quilling because he's just over 2 months old now... i just don't know if its mites... if it was wouldn't he be scratching all the time? including play time? or is it just something they do when they wake for the first little wile? i don't know... please let me know what u guys think

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You are quite welcome. :roll:

Maybe do a search on scratching in general. Not sure why he only does it at night unless there is something specific in the cage that is making him itchy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it were any time, being night or day, mites aren't always the problem... Sometimes it is dry skin, though in your case I think it would be best to check everything in your cage and see if that is your problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well when he's up during the day to get a bite or drink he never scratches... its only at night and when he gets up... notihing is different at night then day... all thats in his cage is his house, food dish, water bottle, wheel, and yesterdays news under the wheel... so i dont' know what it could be... i thought quilling cuz he's so young maybe...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm glad your little guy is doing better.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked.
Have you tried an oatmeal bath?

I'm sorry you didn't more answers then you did but I think everyone was just as confused as you on why he was only doing it at certain times.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no need to be sorry... i should be for being rude... lots goin on with me right now so i've just been short tempered l8ly... so i apologize... and no i havn't tried an oatmeal bath... any special way of doin this?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
No problem, we all have those days. ;)

To give an oatmeal bath, you can run a few inches of warm water in the sink/tub, and 1-use an oatmeal wash on hedgie, 2-use collodial oatmeal powder in the water, or 3-put some dry oats (plain oatmeal) in a sock/nylon and swish it around in the water. Then just bathe him as normal. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i haven't herd of this b4... i'm goin to have to give it a shot... i'm sure it couldn't hurt... does any1 know approx when they start to quil? i'd like to have an idea so i can expect it and see if he's scratching again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts