Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Tinker Bell for less then a week. I think she is getting used to me. Although she still hisses and runs away from me when I try to get her out of her cage, or try to pet her once she is out of her cage and sitting in my lap. I know this is normal but I wanted to know should I keep petting her once she is hissing at me and trying to head but my hand? Or should I just let her sit there and hide in my lap? What are some good ways to help her get used to me? Oh yeah, what type of heating and bedding works best?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
For the socializing, I would try just holding her your lap and not petting her too much. Let her continue getting used to your scent. Once she's calmed down a bit, slowly offer your hand to her to sniff. Once she's not quilled up anymore (assuming she quills up at the approach of your hand), then slowly and gently stroke her back. I think just having something come down on their back with no warning is what might surprise them, even after they're used to you.
Heating, a lot of people recomment using ceramic heat emitters, like for a reptile cage. For that you need the lamp, a thermostat with degrees (not just low, medium, and high), and a bulb, but I'm not sure if that's it or not. I use a space heater, which works well for my room. If your hedgie is in a big room, though, or if you don't like the heat, then space heaters wouldn't work that well.
And for bedding, most people around here use liners, which can be as simple as a piece of fleece cut to the size of the cage, or could be two pieces of corduroy sewn together with a layer of fleece or some sort of absorbant fabric in between. I just use one layer of fleece, I bought a fleece blanket from Meijer (a store similar to a Walmart) and cut it to size. I got about 11 or 12 liners out of it. You can also use aspen or pine chips or pellets, as long as they are kiln-dried. But they're messier, and can cause respiratory problems for humans or hedgies if they are sensitive to it. Carefresh is another option, but you have to watch your hedgie carefully at first to make sure they aren't taste testing it. It can pose a choking or impaction hazard if they eat some of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the breeeder I got mine from said to keep petting him/her even while they are hissing at you, it's their defense mechanism and if you show them it doesn't bother you, they won't try defending themselves with it

·
Registered
395 Posts
forcing petting may seem like a predator movement and can have detrimental effects if your hedgehog is brand new to you. It is best just to let them get comfortable with your lap, and then work on making them comfortable with your hands later.

To get them used to your hands,i wouldn't pet the quills, as some hedgehogs hate this. Instead scratch their chin/underbelly where it is soft. Some hedgehogs will just melt with this, while others will resist. Try to touch your hedgehogs feet, and as soon as you do stop. Every day play with their feet a little more before stopping. I did this with vex and now i can grab his feet without him huffing up. He just tries to pull it away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts